Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Suggestions for future release
 Checkout process
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elvis
VP-CART Super User

202 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  03:15:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This article gives good suggestions.
Just for your info.

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/05/28/12-tips-for-designing-an-excellent-checkout-process/

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  04:36:21  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those are good tips. I'd add a non-expiring login (and at least 24-hour-lasting mini-cart) to those tips too.

For example, on our bigyellowkey.com site you stay logged in forever unless you specifically click the logout link or clear your cookies. Whether you close your browser, step out for an hour, or switch off your whole pc, whenever you visit the site it should automatically log you back in and reload your minicart wherever possible.

Knowing that you don't need to refresh/link at least once every 10/20 minutes to keep your login active has a massive psychological effect on your users.

For example, on our bigyellowkey.com site, as an admin/developer user, I check the orders etc, and knowing that I can keep my browser open and click around whenever I want without having to manually keep it active is a huge benefit timewise and psychologically; it keeps you very calm/happy/relaxed when using the site and makes you want to keep it open. I can login, go do the gardening, then come back the next day to view orders and the links still all work as before without me having to log back in again. It's the same for customers; they can keep it open forever, or even close their browser, and whenever they come back it knows who they are and has kept their minicart contents.

(I think howard's got a login-forever addon for the admin side of vpasp which achieves the same kind of thing for admin users)

anyway, auto-relogin without losing context of where you were is a pretty essential thing in my opinion for some sites (although it depends what they are). With retail sites it's often not too essential because generally people would buy things there+then rather than come back later, but for other sites which do more the simple product-selling (eg social networking sites, forums etc) it's a must-have.

Losing what you just spent half an hour typing in due to the session timing out is the most annoying thing in the world. Luckily that's not usually relevant to most retail sites because of the nature of how they're used.

We'll be releasing a javascript order-form addon this weekend which'll also help to keep customers from mis-understanding the ordering process. I'll post a link to it here when it's released.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on May 30 2009 04:37:36
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000