Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Templates used
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

windsurfer
VP-CART New User

Canada
91 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  17:16:25  Show Profile  Visit windsurfer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know the shopdisplayproducts.asp page shows up when i select a catagory but also when i display a product. Does anybody know which templates they are based on. I am not using custom templates.
Thank you

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  17:24:33  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
tmp_productformat.htm is the default template file which displays each product in shopdisplayproducts.asp, ie it fires-off that template once for each product which is displayed on the page.

The surrounding html above that level (ie to format the per-product cells within the overall page) is done via a combination of shop$colors.asp settings and some hard-coded bits of html inside the nitty-gritty vpasp files such as shopdisplayproducts.asp itself and shopproductformat.asp/shopproductformat_template.asp and various other files.

If you don't have the free version, my advice is to change any product detail links you have to point to shopexd.asp instead of shopquery.asp; avoid the use of shopdisplayproducts.asp to display a single product. (xcrosslinkurl I think is one of the relevant config options for that)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on May 27 2009 17:26:35
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  17:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

the default file for shopdisplayproducts.asp is tmp_productformat.htm

Always save a copy of this file before making any changes and any alterations to templates are best done in Notepad or an html editor.

The manual has a section on using and modifying templates

Regards,

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  17:28:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol - Speedy Simon

just beat me to it.

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

windsurfer
VP-CART New User

Canada
91 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  17:33:48  Show Profile  Visit windsurfer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Simon
Here is what in tmp_productformat.htm page just below where it says [formatcomparison sub] I entered How now brown cow in great big point 36 letters and do you think i can get that to show up on my products page ..... as a matter of fact it doesn't show up on any page i go to ..... Any idea on that one ?
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  18:15:54  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
make sure you added it above the "</td>" line, otherwise it'll be outside the tags and invisible. do a view-source on your browser to see if it's physically in the html but not viewable.

also, it only uses that template if the config option "xproductwithhtml" is set to Yes

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

windsurfer
VP-CART New User

Canada
91 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  18:20:02  Show Profile  Visit windsurfer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Simon, yes it was above the "/td>" but the xproductwithhtml was set to no. I did purchase the program and learning a lot , i do find though that the manual is a little unclear about certain things.
I have a site at www.mysurplus.ca with which you probably find lots wrong LOL

Wil
Go to Top of Page

windsurfer
VP-CART New User

Canada
91 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  18:34:35  Show Profile  Visit windsurfer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Simon
I have made a copy of the "tmp_productformat.htm" and called it "tmp_productdisplay.htm" I have modified the html somewhat but if i go in and change the properties of a style in the css this will affect other pages based on "tmp_productformat.htm" as well i am assuming. If this is the case then is there a way to have the tags and what have you in my new "tmp_productdisplay.htm" point to a different style sheet ? I do have to say that your explanation beat the hell out of the manual :)
Go to Top of Page

windsurfer
VP-CART New User

Canada
91 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  19:19:04  Show Profile  Visit windsurfer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Simon
I have made a copy of the shop.css and called it display.css I then entered at the top of the new tmp_shopdisplay.htm <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<link href="stylesheets/display.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
</head>
when i look at it with the internet developer it does seem to be pointing to the display.css I'm jus wondering what you think of this practice ?
Wil
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  06:24:41  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,
You wouldn't put those kind of lines inside the product summary template, because it'll be displaying it once for each product, ie multiple times, and they should be in the header instead (once only, at the top, ie in shoppage_header.htm
Bear in mind that you'd still want your side panels (header/trailer) to use the same styles as the other pages, so you only need to change/add styles which are specific to your customised changes in the template.
So it's best to just add styles in the generic stylesheet where needed and then use those styles within the template.
The tags are displayed/derived dynamically for that page too, and should also be kept in the main header.

For tags info, see:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/support/issue_view.asp?ID=1465

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: