Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Search Results -- Not prioritize
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skynet104
VP-CART New User

94 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  19:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have suffer this problem in our page for a long time now.
We have VPASP 6.5 and sell music, however when a customer is searching for a singer... say "JOSE JOSE" the search results will show the albums that contain the name JOSE in any part of the track list content first and then at the very end of the list will start showing the JOSE JOSE albums. This is a problem when there is more than 50 items having the same name in their content.
In trying to fix this problem we got the BigyellowZone Enhanced Searh Page add on.
This fixis the problem and yes, it does show the JOSE JOSE albums firts but then the problem is that it iliminates the rest of the albums that in some how will have some interest to the customer.
Try to deal with BigYellowzone about this problem but they blame VPASP.
Bottom line, How can we make vpasp 6.5 to show first in the list of search results exactly what the customer is looking for and then show the rest of the results that contain the queried words..

Will appreciate any tip on this topic.

Thanks in Advance.

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  23:40:19  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The enhanced search addon (byz116) will allow you to create dynamic ordering.

The config file which stores the ordering/sorting sql text is an asp file rather than a simple config option, so the ordering part of the sql query can be dynamically generated, and you can also make it as complex as you want; it doesn't just have to be a conventional list of columns.

This means that you could add an extra "ordering option" of, say, "relevance", and then configure that to use the cleaned-keyword (if entered) inside a sql case statement (if using sqlserver), thereby ordering it using logic like "if it's in cname then it's relevance1, else if it's in cdescription then it's relevance2" etc (equivalent to an Oracle "decode" statement).

The byz116 filter/ordering/search options can do pretty much anything, it's just that for the more complex kind of logic you'd probably need a bit of help getting the config options coded-up.

As each version of byz116 gets released, we're adding more and more examples and options of the kind of things that you can do with it; it's incredibly powerful, and very flexible in how it can be used, but the more complex situations do sometimes need a bit of extra help when it comes to coding up config options or the filter form etc.

I'd like to ask here how many other vpasp users would find a relevance/priority sorting/ordering option useful? I'm sure byz116 can do it using its existing core files (although I haven't tried yet), and that it's just a case of working out the sql logic to place into the ordering config file.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on May 19 2009 23:42:16
Go to Top of Page

skynet104
VP-CART New User

94 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  01:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Barnaby:

Thanks for your response. Very well explained.
However as I can see, you must defend your product and at the same time try to promote your services in any occasion.
As its been happening in this forum since I am a member almost 10 years now. since your company( BigYellowZone) arrived, it will answer to most of the questions in the forum, but the problem is that you do not present an answer as it is intended, your point is always to offer your products.
I purchased your byz116 BACK on 2008, since then I've been trying to deal with your tech support team about this problem and up to this point they haven't been able to provide a solution, you may check the log file for "joseb" at tech support and you will know what I am talking about.

Please do not take this as push down for your products, this only means that you haven't been able to provide me a solution. I have to agree that the products you offer are an excellent alternative for many vpasp users.

And as frustrating as it may sound, I still like the idea of using your product and to keep vpasp, but i need more help them i expected.

Where are the VPASP support team that my offer a hint?

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  02:17:49  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi,
I've replied to the most recent posting on the ticket; there are 2 issues here, one is searching for features (reply posted on the support ticket; see its response thread for all the info), and the other is this priority/relevance issue. both are do-able, but both need a bit of time spent configuring/tweaking things to get them doing exactly what you're after.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

skynet104
VP-CART New User

94 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  13:19:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simon:

Thanks for your reply, with all the respect, i think it has nothing to do with vpasp features... (unless you are refering to byz116 features).

All i need is the search being able to display the exact word that is being searched at the beginning of the list and show the rest of the items next.

I don't know if you get exactly what I need.

Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  16:19:19  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I do understand what you mean.

features was just referring to the original support ticket (which was a different request/question from the prioritise issue)

The prioritise issue could be done but it'd be specific to database-type and which columns are being searched on and what the priority should be for the fall-through. ie the ordering config file can cater for it, it's just that you or we would need to work out what sql syntax to use in your particular instance, and then apply that to the dynamic ordering config options.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)