Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Mass change Parent product inventory display type
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sew-N-2-U
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - March 15 2009 :  21:10:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to change all of my parent products from table to radio display. Is there a way to do this without manually going into each parent product? I am pretty new, so a detailed explanation would be helpful.
Thanks!
Patty

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 16 2009 :  04:56:41  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can definitely do it on-mass; there are lots of different ways to achieve it, here are just 2:

1) Manually construct the relevant update sql command and execute it via admin via something like this:
BYZ097 - Advanced SQL Execution Tool for VP-ASP (a free tool) -
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/mysoftware_product_details.asp?prdid=223&opu=n

2) Let the system construct your sql command for you, and you specify what you want to change/hit via a form with the ability to do a test run before a live run:
BYZ089 - Bulk Product Updater for VPASP:
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/mysoftware_product_details.asp?prdid=293&opu=n

Either way, you'll need to know the column names and exact values that you need to change; your best bet for that is to edit a single product first like normal, and save those changes to that product. Then, in the edit-product page for that product click on advanced-edit to get the literal/precise column names as labels so you can see exactly which columns are set to which values, and then you can use either of the tools above to set all the other products' values on mass, but be careful to make sure that you only hit/change products which have the Table option (this is where the byz089 tool comes in handy because it'll show you a list of all the records it'd change along with what the changes would be before you do a live run, so you can double-check that you're not trying to hit/change irrelevant products)

for what you're after, I think you'd need to change spdisplaytype (from "Table" to "Radio") where spdisplaytype is already "Table"

ie your sql update command would be like:

update products set spdisplaytype='Radio' where spdisplaytype='Table'

but I'd be wary about changing that in raw sql without first double-checking the results/hits via something like byz089 or by doing a query.

you can do a query to see which records it'd hit by going into advanced-query and using:

select * from products where spdisplaytype='Table'

Before doing a mass update like that it's a good idea to do a vpasp export of the products table, just in case you need to revert a value back again if it goes wrong.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on March 16 2009 05:18:38
Go to Top of Page

Sew-N-2-U
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - March 17 2009 :  18:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks!