Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Under construction page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Trial_and_Error
Starting Member

36 Posts

Posted - February 10 2009 :  18:25:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I want to test out my website on a hostserver. I have localhost, but now I want to test out also the SQL database and the mailserver and payment gateways so I need to publish it on an external host. Is it possible to give visitors acces to the under construction page, but not to the other pages so I can test it out for a while before publishing my site officially?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Trial_and_error

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - February 10 2009 :  23:00:10  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Most servers will have a sequence in which they display default pages.

eg:
1st - index.htm
2nd - index.asp
3rd - default.htm
4th - default.asp

The easiest way to set up an under construction page is to find out which page your server looks for first to display as a default landing page.

If the default landing page on your server is a file that already exists in VPASP, you could simply rename the VPASP file, and create your own new version of that page that displays your "under construction" message.

This way, whenever anyone tries to access your domain name they will just see your "under construction" page. For you to view the site however, you can direct the browser to any of the VPASP pages such as shopdisplaycategories.asp

When you are ready to go live, you just need to delete your "under construction" page, and if you renamed one of VPASP's core files, you can rename this back to its default name to go live.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Michael
VPASP SUPPORT
Go to Top of Page

Trial_and_Error
Starting Member

36 Posts

Posted - February 11 2009 :  15:05:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Michael,

Seems logic to me. I will try this out in the coming days.

Thanks for the answer,

Trial and Error
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00