Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 change catalogid ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aaronrand
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - November 19 2008 :  16:33:18  Show Profile  Visit aaronrand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
looking to change catalogid numbers,
i tried advanced edit but it seems locked in.
i am trying to fix the first few tests i entered but now i am off track from catalogid and product code.
so can i edit catalogid?

g3nnin
VP-CART Super User

209 Posts

Posted - November 20 2008 :  13:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

If you are using Access as the database, you can use Compact and Repair Database. This link may explains better:

http://www.techonthenet.com/access/tables/reset_counter.php
Go to Top of Page

aaronrand
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - November 20 2008 :  13:29:12  Show Profile  Visit aaronrand's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks but not quite what i was looking for.
i want to reset certain ones, not all if possible
Go to Top of Page

cierra1
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - November 21 2008 :  10:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Generally you can not change the catalogid. This is an automatically generated sequential number, plus it is not a good idea to do so because for products there are many entries tied to this number. If you must, you will need to go into design view of the table in Access you want to change, you will see the id field is set to Autonumber, change it to number. Save and then go back to the datasheet View. Change the number to what you need. Then go back to the design view and reset to Autonumber. You will then need to go through the rest of your product tables and change the id number to the new one you've set so everything matches again. But it would be better to delete these products, or mark them as inactive and create new ones with the correct information.

If you are using SQL the process is a little different but same idea, the steps will vary depending on what version of SQL you are using. Basically, you will need to go into the table and turn off the identity on the field and the index key, save, then change your numbers. When you are done, go back in and reset the ID to the identity and the key and you should be good to go
Go to Top of Page

Phineas
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - January 14 2009 :  19:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to reset the catalogid field in the products table back to zero. All products have been deleted and I wish the first imported product to get a value of 1. What is the SQL procedure... I don't see how to turn off the read only setting and I can't get the ID's to synchronise with subcatagories. I don't understand where to turn off "identity". It would be much simpler if this field could be set to "editable".
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - January 15 2009 :  05:01:57  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
on sqlserver you could try the "reseed" option, eg:

http://vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6312

example in this instance would be:

DBCC CHECKIDENT ( 'products', RESEED,1)

but that's a fairly dangerous thing to do for products because you need to ensure there's no associated records left for any products in any tables (there might be orphans in prodcategories for example which you can't see from the normal admin processes)

I guess the main question before you do reseeding or temporarily turning off the ident is what's the reason behind resetting the numbers? I think that's the question that should really be getting debated here (is it because links to shopexd.asp?id=x shouldn't ever change for a given product following a deletion/re-import?)

Remember that the catalogid field is purely an internal identifier; it's not a real product value as such, so you'd normally expect gaps in it, and you'd expect it not to relate to any specific sorting/ordering in the data. Also the admin edit-products page/processes all assume that catalogid is auto-populated via an ident, so turning off the ident would stop it from being populated with unique values.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on January 15 2009 05:13:48
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000