Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Credit card fraud and hackers
 Fraud warnings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

riprod
VP-CART New User

USA
85 Posts

Posted - September 20 2008 :  13:27:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be nice to have a fraud alert forum.

For example I got taken this week. I got an order from Overseas for some product. Shipping from the US, the customer insisted I used their shippers. I get a quote from their shippers. Then I get paid by credit card from the client for everything including the shipping. I pay the shipping company and arrange for them to pick up the goods.

Turns out the shipping company is a front and never even pick up the goods, they are just laundering money from stolen cards. The whole thing had nothing to do with the product.

Of course 3 weeks later the charge on the card is disputed.

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - September 20 2008 :  20:05:08  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there

Sorry to hear you got hit. It was of the big pitfalls of trading online. Where did the order come from?

It may be interesting to see if this would have been picked up by our fraud alert system.

Are you able to post a ticket in the online helpdesk and as subject use:

ATT CAM re Fraud warnings

If add the IP address, the first 6 digits of the card and the customer details I will run a test on it for you.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - September 22 2008 :  04:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by riprod

It would be nice to have a fraud alert forum.

For example I got taken this week. I got an order from Overseas for some product. Shipping from the US, the customer insisted I used their shippers. I get a quote from their shippers. Then I get paid by credit card from the client for everything including the shipping. I pay the shipping company and arrange for them to pick up the goods.

Turns out the shipping company is a front and never even pick up the goods, they are just laundering money from stolen cards. The whole thing had nothing to do with the product.

Of course 3 weeks later the charge on the card is disputed.

Sorry you got hit, but welcome tot he joys of online retailing.

We send orders overseas and have a number of security measures set up, which may help you in the future:
  • We only ever send to the billing address.
  • We presume an overseas order is fraudulent when we are processing it. This helps with our mindset when processing it as when we are looking at the details we are checking off things in our head which mean the order is genuine.
  • We never use someone elses carrier services regardless of the value of the order.
  • Only an experienced member of staff processes international orders, they have more experience and so can spot the dodgy orders.
  • We are fully prepared to refund a large order and accept the potential loss of a big sale. This is harder than it sounds, we all want the big sales but you have to be prepared to let these go if you want to reduce your risk.
Hope this helps for the future.

Steve
Sex toys from a UK sex shop
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00