Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Offering Services
 Advanced SEO VPASP Web Hosting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

responderpse
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - September 11 2008 :  18:37:25  Show Profile  Visit responderpse's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've spent over 200 hours customizing the vpasp cart with a focus on SEO. My background is in SEO and web development with more than twelve years of experience in this field.

Some of the enhancements I've added include url re-writes on the fly which offer the benefit of static html files without the hassle of dealing with hundreds or even thousands of files on the server.

The enhancements also include conversion from a table based layout to a css design.

Take a look at my own webstore to see how these features work - http://www.projectresponder.com/pse/

cayars
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - September 13 2008 :  22:05:29  Show Profile  Visit cayars's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't worried about css at all as I think it's over rated and causes problems with different browsers. I like tables myself as they view the same in any browser including the mobile browsers. CSS is a problem on many mobile and non-full-blown browsers.

I just did added URL rewriting to categories and product pages myself about a week ago. I did it in an afternoon but I've done it a few different times with other websites and know how it works. I'm also pretty familiar with VPASP code and know where to find things so it was pretty quick and easy.

I think I spent half the time in the cart itself and half the time modding the different external feed and sitemap files I have on the 3 sites I run.

Anyway, I took a look at your site and can make a recommendation. Take a page on your site like:
d60-Stealth-Visor-undercover-interior-lightbar-High-Power.htm

I did them like this instead:

Stealth_Visor_undercover_interior_lightbar_High_Power-d60.htm

Basically put your catalogid at the end instead of the front. If you submit the same page both ways to search engines with all else being equal the catalogid at the end will do better as your not putting "bogus junk" at the beginning of the link. By using underscores instead of hyphens to seperate words you can still search for the hyphen/catalog at the end to do the rewrite.

Also if the product has a UPC code, manufacture code or ISBN type code (anything like that) stuff that in the link as well. Do titles, standard codes and then your "cheater catalog id" at the end. This gets you "maximum" bang for the buck in the search engines.

Don't forget to also mod the headers also to add things like UPC, ISBN, etc in there to unless they are part of your keywords.

Another tip for you. Instead of using codes for categories also write them out in your product lists as well as they become part of the URL.

/Vision-X-XIL-80-LED-Off-Road-Lights/d185-Vision-X-XIL-80-LED-Off-Road-Lights.htm is much better then
/pse/d185-Vision-X-XIL-80-LED-Off-Road-Lights.htm
as you get to stuff more info into the search engine. :)

Carlo
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00