Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Shipping Costs - Anyone done this?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - September 02 2008 :  08:18:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are currently developing a new site which will be selling a range that is completely different to what we currently sell (not adult related).

The plan was to use the same database as we do for our main business but utilise the productmatch field. This wasy we can keep everything in one place. Everything has been going well, but I have hit upon a problem - shipping costs.

Currently our shipping is worldwide, the UK costs are £2.99 upto a value of £30 then free over that.

With the new site the costs will have to be substancially different. We will not be shipping worldwide (UK only) and the shipping will be £6 for orders upto £70 and free over £70.

Can we have 2 sites working off one database but having different shipping rules?

Anyone know if it is possible to do this and if so how?

Steve
Sex toys from a UK sex shop

cayars
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - September 03 2008 :  22:48:22  Show Profile  Visit cayars's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Steve don't know if you are using SQL server or not but I run a couple of sites similar to what you are trying to do. I have seperate databases setup for each store but I use a shared product database among the stores.

Changing the setting for "xproductdb" in the 2nd store for example to point to the first site for example.

I messed with the productmatch field but found it to be a pain and it slowed things down to much for my liking. Since I use different prices for the same products depending on which site the person goes to what I did was modify the products table to add a new field. For example you could add a field called cprice2. Then in the 2nd site fire up a code editor like the free Crimson Editor and do a directory search & replace. Search for "cprice" and replace with "cprice2". Don't worry that it changes some variable names besides just the database field. It will change them all and it works just fine.

Now you have 2 seperate fields in the database that you can populate with prices and use any price model you want. I have a couple of SQL scripts I run that manipulate the prices outside of the website for just this purpose.

With the above type of setup you can setup the shipping & handling differently for each site but still share a "common product database".

One thing to watch out for is the "xproductdb" setting is used for a bit more then just pure products. It is also used for the categories, etc... The category sharing is GOOD in my book as I only have one place to make the changes (from either site).

If you want to try this out setup a "bare" 2nd site with the database changed parameter and the search and replace (IE cprice to cprice2) and play a bit just to make sure there isn't anything besides the products and categories being shared. You may have to make a small code change here or there. I don't remember anymore but you could hit a couple of small gotchas like the 2nd site pulling the UPS shipping (exampe only) from the first database. There was one or two small things like this that I had to change database for in the source in my setup but it was less then a hour job.

Overall I'm very, very pleased with the setup right now doing it this way.

Carlo
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00