Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 improving google search
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alexedsel
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - September 01 2008 :  15:28:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive been evaluating the BYZ tool to improve search rankings by creating non dynamic urls, however

1. arent all product detail pages of the type that can be indexed mydomain/shopexd.asp?id=45
I thought this could be indexed that one ? , seems the byz tool also generates page with one ?

2. isnt it best to create a non dynamic url asp page for each category assuming you dont have over 20 etc and actually because you can name your static page anything you want help your search ranking more with well titled page , for example
how to improve search ranking.asp

Thanks

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - September 01 2008 :  16:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't looked at the byz tool, so can't comment on it.

What I can do is offer an alternative. We use a rewrite package (ISAPI_Rewrite) which is like the mod_rewrite of php. This means we can produce urls in any form we want. It does take some work and we have added various fields to the product table and the category table to enable the urls to work as we want them.

Have a look at our site to see what I mean. By the way it does work as our serps are rising rapidly.

Steve
Sex toys from a UK sex shop
Go to Top of Page

alexedsel
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - September 01 2008 :  18:59:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Steve, Ill look at it but let me ask when there is a vpasp upgrade does that require redoing things?
Go to Top of Page

cayars
Starting Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - September 01 2008 :  23:09:15  Show Profile  Visit cayars's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Steve I hate looking at "code" on your site. It's too easy to get side tracked. :)

Carlo
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - September 02 2008 :  05:11:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alexedsel

Thanks Steve, Ill look at it but let me ask when there is a vpasp upgrade does that require redoing things?

Not really. What you have to do is make sure all the links in the site use the structure you want.

Most upgrades are for the underlying code of the site, I personally can't remember an upgrade that affected internal links, I may be wrong fo course and others on here may now different.

If you do go down this route you have to remember that rewriting urls is very powerful and putting the wrong syntax in the ini file can create problems. So tred carefully and only make one change at a time.

But once you have your basics set up it is very easy to expand on it.

Not only do we have the internal urls rewritten, but we also have our google adwords. For example our ad for rabbit vibrators has the link TemptationsDirect.Co.Uk/RabbitVibes shown at the bottom. But usually this type of link won't work in VP. On our site if you go to http://www.TemptationsDirect.Co.Uk/RabbitVibes it will automatically forward you to the relevant page of the ad. This means that people who copy and paste the link from the advert rather than clicking still get to the relevant page.

Steve

Edited by - Steve2507 on September 02 2008 05:18:10
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - September 02 2008 :  05:12:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cayars

Steve I hate looking at "code" on your site. It's too easy to get side tracked. :)

Carlo

I don't know what you mean

Steve
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00