Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Add-ons for VP-ASP
 BYZ116 Filter Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - August 22 2008 :  12:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've installed the BYZ116 enhanced searching add on but I'm having a bit of a problem.

I've got it working but we have the option for users to sort the result by price so that the products are put in order of price using
shopfiltering.asp?sortfield=cprice&sortupdown=ASC"
however this no longer works.

I know that with the add on you can give users the option of filtering by price, but we need the products to be put in order by price if the user wants this.

Has anyone been able to do this with the BYZ116 add on?

Steve
Sex toys from a UK sex shop

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - August 22 2008 :  18:49:38  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think you can on the current version; I'm currently working on a new version which'll allow you to do it though.

The important thing is that we need to make sure we keep the "sessionless" aspect to it, so that you can change the ordering if you've been idle for 10 minutes and still keep the context of the rest of the query.

The pending/new version will also have the ability to automatically create a search mini-form on your top/side panel which uses your byz116 config options, where you can specify which of your filter options you want to appear in the mini-form via the config file, and it builds the form for you; you then just add a function call to your header to display the miniform. For that aspect, you can see it in the current demo version:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/publicdemos/default.asp?code=BYZ116
(it's the "quick search" bit on the left-panel; that's the auto-generated miniform)

I'm hoping to get the ordering finished/released some time over this weekend, and then I'll release the ordering change at the same time as the mini-form function.

Something I noticed while working out the differences between what generic vpasp is capable of letting you do, and what the byz116 addon lets you do, is that generic vpasp uses the raw cprice when you specify a price range query, rather than what the amount would be in the currently selected user-ccy. For example, in vpasp if you do a search for lowprice of 10, then it'll use $10 (if you're prices are held as dollars), but the user might be viewing things in gbp and therefore expect their "10" parameter to be 10 gbp.
So, after I've released the ordering/miniform version of byz116, I'd then like to look into adding some kind of extra logic so that when you specify a "money" query it automatically changes the query to use the relevant converted amount depending on what currency the user's currently viewing the site in. But that's for the subsequent version after this pending new one; it's just something I wanted to mention because it's something that only occurred to me while looking at byz116 although it's been a generic vpasp quirk since multi-ccy started.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on August 22 2008 18:51:09
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - August 23 2008 :  03:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply.

Sounds good.

The paging and cross categories is very good, I found it a bit hard to customise bringing extra variables into the links (we use a rewrite package) but eventually managed it. The user being able to click on a link and change the order of the products is (for me) the one thing that is missing.

I just need to do a few more changes and hopefully I shall be able to upload the changes after the weekend.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - August 23 2008 :  19:25:50  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The new version has now been released; if you go to your bigyellowkey.com my-software tab you should see the link for the upgrade.

The new version has a search mini form added (optional; it uses your filtering config options to auto-generate the mini-form, and you can optionally call it via a single line function call in your header; details in the readme file).

It also includes dynamic ordering, fully configurable; by default it'll show a poplist for your byz116 configured ordering options on the results page (inbetween the page-number links and the products-per-page dropdown).

Note there are extra arguments which now exist in the filtering config file. If you're upgrading from a previous version, make sure you take backups of your site's current byz_sls* files first for reference.

In case anyone sees this topic and wonders what it's all about, it's....

BYZ116 - Enhanced Paging/Searching for VPASP:
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/mysoftware_product_details.asp?prdid=317&opu=n

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com

Edited by - devshb on August 23 2008 19:29:14
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - August 24 2008 :  05:46:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great, I shall download it later.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - August 25 2008 :  05:43:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've downloaded the new files and it offers just the sort of ordering we need.

However I am having problems.

We use url rewriting and so I need to have the page number links in a different format to the standard ones. I have been able to do this for the category cross selling but I can’t get it to work for the standard page numbering.

The url usually produced is:

shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=CATEGORYID&sortorder=SORTORDER&page=PAGENUMBER&pagesize=PAGESIZE

However I need to firstly pull in two extra fields for the category table (CATLINKS1 and PRODLINKS1) which when combined with the standard url produces:

shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=CATEGORYID&catlinks1=CATLINKS1&prodlinks1=PRODLINKS1&sortorder=SORTORDER&page=PAGENUMBER&pagesize=PAGESIZE

This then needs to be written to:

p/CATLINKS1/PRODLINKS1/CATEGORYID_SORTORDER_PAGENUMBER_PAGESIZE.html

I can’t find where to pull in the extra fields nor where to change the format of the url.

Any ideas anyone.

Simon, I've also sent you an email via your contact form about this.

Thanks for any help.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - August 25 2008 :  07:01:22  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've now replied via email; it's a bit more complex than it looks on the surface, because you also need to make sure that things like the filtering still take account of the extra arguments, and that the extra arguments don't end up getting dropped through the paging links, and that if they're not supplied (but the id is) then it needs to then add the arguments.

It's all do-able I think, and just needs a bit of customisation applied, but it'd be too long a solution to post on the forum and would be specific to the setup.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - August 28 2008 :  05:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've installed the add on as is, however have discovered a flaw.

If a user adds an item to the cart from the shopexd page then they are taken to the cart, if they return to shopping they go back to the page they were originally on.

However, if a users adds an item to the basket from shopdisplayproduct, they are not returned to the page they were just on. Instead they are returned to shopdisplayproducts, displaying ALL of our products, instead of the category they were just on.

Any ideas?????

Steve
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - August 28 2008 :  12:01:23  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll look into that; it's definitely possible; we've done it before using the addon. From what I can remember it involved adding a template field (to add a hidden input field) to the product detail page which holds the place that you originally came from (either using arguments, or falling-through as a session if no "returnurl" arguments are found).

the standard add-to-cart function caters for dynamic return urls, it's just a case of plugging it into the template/setup. I'll try it out on our dev/demo area and work it out.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - August 28 2008 :  13:32:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, let me get this right, you are saying that with the paging add on a user is not supposed to return to their current page if they add an item to the basket?

Isn't that a backward step?

Surely a customer would expect to return to the page they were on if they add an item to the basket. But with the paging add on installed they are instead forwarded to a page which shows all of the products.

I don't want this to happen, I want the customer to be returned to the page they were on originally, which is how VP is set up to work in the first place.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - August 28 2008 :  13:44:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me expand on my previous post.

If you go to
http://www.temptationsdirect.co.uk/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=5653&catlinks1=Sexy%2DLingerie&prodlinks1=Sexy%2DCamisoles&sortorder=poth3&page=2&pagesize=15

Which is the 2nd page of of our cvamisoles.

Then add one of them to the cart. You would expect to retrun to the same page i.e.
http://www.temptationsdirect.co.uk/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=5653&catlinks1=Sexy%2DLingerie&prodlinks1=Sexy%2DCamisoles&sortorder=poth3&page=2&pagesize=15

Instead you return to
http://www.temptationsdirect.co.uk/shopdisplayproducts.asp?page=2
Which is the 2nd page of all the products.

If anyone wants to test this for themselves, I'm going to be changing the site back in about 20 minutes as I can't have it like this as it is effectively unworkable, we had an increase on dropped carts of 450% last night with this in place.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - August 28 2008 :  15:58:03  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They're only being sent to an "all products" page because either the shopexd template doesn't have a returnurl field in it, or because the paging addon isn't setting a session value (possibly both)

by adding/setting those things, the return from view-cart would end up taking you back to precisely the same results (and even same page number) that you were on when you came from the shopdisplayproducts page originally; it just needs setting up in the template; we've done it before (we also added a "return to summary" link to the shopexd page which did the same thing) and I'll go through the addon to add the relevant info to the readme file on how to do it, and if needed I'll create a new template-field for it within the addon.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - August 28 2008 :  16:11:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When a product is added to the cart from the shopexd page the site does go back to the page it originally came from.

How do I set up the session value?

Please note all I've done is add BYZ116, before adding this the site worked perfectly, i.e. when a product was added to the cart the site went back to the original page and now I;ve taken BYZ116 off the site the site works as it should.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - August 28 2008 :  17:33:30  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
pressing the order button direct from shopdisplayproducts will return to the relevant dynamic url (assuming the xcontinueshoppingdynamic is set to yes), I'm going through the logic to work out the best place to put the session value for shopexd etc at the moment; I'll update the forum here and the addon's readme file when I've finalised/tested it on our dev area in a moment.

Generic vpasp seems to do the trick by default for most instances/urls, even the byz116 ones; the only gap in the logic that I can see is when stayonpage is set to yes; in that instance vpasp doesn't take across the full url like the other vpasp bits do (which use referrer), so I'm tweaking the readme file etc to explain how to achieve that; I'll post again here when it's done.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com

Edited by - devshb on August 28 2008 17:56:35
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - August 28 2008 :  18:57:25  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok; all done; new version's now been released (V04) and is available on bigyellowkey.com via upgrade links etc.

A few minor changes to the byz_sls_inc.asp file to setup the variable for the full url, plus an additional minor installation step to call the setup from the relevant 2 files.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

Peter
VP-CART New User

125 Posts

Posted - August 28 2008 :  19:57:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use this addon and the back links work perfectly for us. This is what happens on our site:

1 - Viewing 'batman' items on /shopdisplayproducts.asp?keyword=Batman&pagesize=15&page=1

2 - Select one and view on shopexd.asp

3 - Add that item to the cart

4 - Back link on cart returns customer to correct 'batman' display at /shopdisplayproducts.asp?keyword=Batman&pagesize=15&page=1

This works by using a template field. Simon, in what situation do we need the above changes to the addon?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00