Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Search Engine Optimisation
 URL rewriting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ianphillips
Starting Member

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - May 12 2008 :  11:23:55  Show Profile  Visit ianphillips's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have been running our site for two months now and have done a lot of customisation on it including building a facebok type social application that is seamleesly integrated into VPASP.

What we have recently done is do a url rewrite.

Have a look at www.horses-ponies.co.uk and try the shopping links.

Anybody got any thoughts on this process- good or bad..

SDCPieter
VP-CART New User

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - May 13 2008 :  01:10:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try and replace the spaces with - instead of just having the space there.

URL encode in browswers will change a space to %20

Not sure how that will affect SEO
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - May 13 2008 :  05:10:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice site. Regarding SEO and rewriting:

Get rid of all the spaces and underscores, only have alphanumeric characters and -, the current amount of spaces etc will have a negative effect on SEO.

There are some links where "&bc=no" is coming at the end of the link. Drop this.

Your links are words-words-words-number.htm, a better method for SEO would be number/words-words-words.htm This puts the keyphrase at the end and so makes it stand out in SERPs as well as having an SEO benefit.

The starting letter each word in your link should be a capital, so instead of word-word-word you have Word-Word-Word this makes no difference to SEO but helps your link stand out in SERP so more chance it is clicked.

Use your rewrite on the tell a friend link (something like number/tellfriend/Word-Word-Word.htm) We have done this and are getting a fair few visits via friend and review pages.

Use your rewrite on the content links at the bottom of the page.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Sex toys from a UK sex shop
Go to Top of Page

ianphillips
Starting Member

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  05:38:53  Show Profile  Visit ianphillips's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What other things do you do with your site to get it highly rated. We have phone calls all the time from companeis offering us seo promotion and they all tell slightly different stories.

Do you use any other companies to help promote the site.

Ian

quote:
Originally posted by Steve2507

Nice site. Regarding SEO and rewriting:

Get rid of all the spaces and underscores, only have alphanumeric characters and -, the current amount of spaces etc will have a negative effect on SEO.

There are some links where "&bc=no" is coming at the end of the link. Drop this.

Your links are words-words-words-number.htm, a better method for SEO would be number/words-words-words.htm This puts the keyphrase at the end and so makes it stand out in SERPs as well as having an SEO benefit.

The starting letter each word in your link should be a capital, so instead of word-word-word you have Word-Word-Word this makes no difference to SEO but helps your link stand out in SERP so more chance it is clicked.

Use your rewrite on the tell a friend link (something like number/tellfriend/Word-Word-Word.htm) We have done this and are getting a fair few visits via friend and review pages.

Use your rewrite on the content links at the bottom of the page.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - May 18 2008 :  09:09:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ian,

The one thing you should not do is give work to anyone that cold calls. All the good SEO companies don't have time (or the need) to cold call. If you are after an SEO company I would recommend having a look on forums such as http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk which have a lot of good companies involved.

We don't use any outsourcing all our SEO has been done in house using the standard stuff, i.e. link building, on site optimisation, off site optimisation etc.

Also the search button looks terrible as it doesn't fit the rest of the site.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  16:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve2507

Also the search button looks terrible as it doesn't fit the rest of the site.

Steve

Okay, thought I'd be sarcastic but it hasn't worked, could you please remove the button image you have nicked from our site.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

mmaillar
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - October 17 2008 :  16:35:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ian,

Did you use isapi in order to acheive this great optim?

My host (GODADDY) wont let me use isapi unfortunately...

Thanks !
Marc.
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - October 19 2008 :  10:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, we use ISAP_REWRITE.

To use it you need either to have it installed on the server or have root level access to the server. We have a dedicated server so there are no problems there.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

ianphillips
Starting Member

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - March 26 2009 :  06:38:47  Show Profile  Visit ianphillips's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the delayed reply . I am sure yu have answers by now but just to let everyone know..we have our own dedicated servers which we host our many client s on. We therefore have total desktop level control of them as if they were a local pc and have installed oftware to perform reqriting as well as customising the vpasp cart

If you need advise then goto my website www.southerncreative.co.uk and give me a call
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00