Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Four Categories 2 different links
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

soncci
VP-CART New User

USA
97 Posts

Posted - March 04 2008 :  03:22:39  Show Profile  Visit soncci's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have four categories.
Three will have products so when you click on them the items will show.

With the fourth category I need to link it to a different template.

This fourth category does not have products, are free samples to download, and this downloadable files are already in the template.

I have the template ready and was able to create a link within the category box to go to that template but the link does not show in the shopdisplaycategories.asp page

Is this possible?

Any help will be appreciated.

Soncci

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 04 2008 :  03:27:21  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
should be possible to do that
make sure your xcategoryusetemplate config option is set to yes, and then set the template filename in the corresponding categories record for your 4th category (you won't need to specify the template on the other categories records; it'll use the default category template if it's not specified on the categories record)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

soncci
VP-CART New User

USA
97 Posts

Posted - March 04 2008 :  03:35:31  Show Profile  Visit soncci's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tnak you Simon for your fast reply.

But it is not working.
I had the xcategoryusetemplate set to yes, and put the template filename in the corresponding categories record, but it seems that because there are no items under that category just show "No products match your search."

What I am doing wrong?

Soncci
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 04 2008 :  05:55:09  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes; you'll need to add the products to the corresponding categories.

if I were you I'd create real products for the ones you want, and just give them a zero price and put the download link directly onto the product-detail template that that category uses.

but also consider having them as products that can only be downloaded via a real order (albeit a free order), so that you know who's downloaded it and so that casual visitors can't just pass the direct download link around the web.

for example, we "sell" some free addons, but we still make people go through the ordering process because we want to know who's got our stuff (for licensing purposes and to make life harder for hackers), it's just that the customer doesn't pay when they get to the end. if they can't be bothered to place a proper order then we can't be bothered to let them have the freebie.

depends on the nature of what the files are though, eg if they're, say, a pdf info spec for your products, then I wouldn't force people to download via orders and would indeed just link them directly to the product pages

remember that they should be added to categories all the way up the tree

eg if you have a category of:
a>b>c
and you want to list all products in "a>b", then you need to make sure that "a>b" and "a>b>c" and "a" are all in the list of categories stamped onto the product.

if that's the case in your site, our prod/cat check/fix tool would help; it has a step on it which automatically creates the prodcategories records for the missing parents, ie if you have:
a>b>c
but you don't have
a>b
or a
then it'll create them for you (stage 8 of the addon's admin screen I think it is that does that bit)

see also:

Category/ProdCategory Fixing Utility:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=74

or, if you also wanted our admin-category-tree addon, then you can buy the bundle to save cash:
Category bundle:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=124

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on March 04 2008 06:05:46
Go to Top of Page

soncci
VP-CART New User

USA
97 Posts

Posted - March 04 2008 :  10:01:15  Show Profile  Visit soncci's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks again Simon.

But, as I said before, this is a "category" with No products, will link to a page where customers will download samples for free.
I am trying another way to do this.
I was able to do it in another shopping cart, but in this cart, seems that the code is not accepted . I need to check the configuration.
As soon as I find why I will come back here and will write what I did.

Thanks again for your help.

Soncci
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00