Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Session timeout help needed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

axyswebs
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - February 06 2008 :  15:08:10  Show Profile  Visit axyswebs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi

I am needing some help with some timeout issues we are experiencing on our VP-ASP v6.5 shopping cart.

Outline
Site was launched 3 months ago with no problems 'that we knew of'. After a month or so we started to experience session timeouts both in the front-end and admin area. After some advice from vpasp our site, which is on shared hosting, was given it's own application pool by the hosting company.

Everything, was fine again until about a week ago when we started to experience session timeouts once again. At first it was intermittent and as nothing had changed on our end eg update of html etc I contacted the hosting company again to ask if anything had changed on their end. They said no and confirmed the site has its own application pool.

Today we have had no sales as timeouts are at there worst ever. We normally would have had 10-15 sales by this time of the day. Customers could get as far as https://www.boilersparesdirect.co.uk/parts-online/shopcustomer.asp but when they click continue it goes to shop error ' Shopping cart is empty.

Q. Has anyone else experienced this with shared hosting?
Q. Does anyone else host with fast2host.com?
Q. Do you think I should move the site to a dedicated server?
Q. Can anyone recommend a good UK hosting company??
Q. What is session state asp.net??

This is a reply I had today from the hosting company

"Hi,

I have checked and cannot find anything.
The best way to resolve this is use session state which all our servers support. Then you will never lose a session no matter what.
Your site is already in its own application pool which means other sites dont effect it. So for a session to be recyled, your site must use alot of memory and not close connections to a database correctly. But if using sessions state then this would not matter."

Please someone help me!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by - axyswebs on February 06 2008 15:06:36

axyswebs
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - February 06 2008 :  15:19:30  Show Profile  Visit axyswebs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes I am definately sure it is the hosting company because within the last half hour of receiving their message above we have had 2 sales and the site seems to be holding its sessions again.

Still, I would like to do something about this, like move to a good uk hosting comapny.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - February 06 2008 :  21:27:45  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
webecs.com are very good; we moved to them a while ago and haven't had any problems since we moved.

it's hardly ever the code that's at fault, it's almost always just that the host hasn't allocated enough memory/resources to each site on a shared server. there are things that could in theory be done to make something like vpasp use less memory by tweaking the code a bit, but it's a waste of time because whatever you do to tune it would be superceded by a handful of additional users being on the system.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

axyswebs
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - February 10 2008 :  20:56:31  Show Profile  Visit axyswebs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your help. Since our problems on the 6th we have suffered no more, up to now. I'm not sure what my hosting company has tweaked but sessions are no longer being lost. I even went to make a coffee and when I got back I was still logged into the admin...amazing!

Anyway, my client has decided to upgrade to a dedicated server so we will be moving servers shortly.
Go to Top of Page

lewisar
Starting Member

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - February 11 2008 :  03:06:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just for info since you asked, by default IIS stores session state in the ASP worker process memory. This means that if the worker process gets recycled after timeout or IIS restart etc, you lose your session variables. You can tell IIS to use a separate windows stateserver service to store session state by a config line in web.config (<sessionState mode="StateServer" ...>). You can also tell it to store session state in a sqlserver database by another variation of the same method.

Unfortunately I believe (though I'm not 100% sure) that these options are only available under .NET, and vpaap (so far - come on guys!) is a Classic ASP solution.

Ade.
Go to Top of Page

axyswebs
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - March 03 2008 :  12:08:44  Show Profile  Visit axyswebs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just want to follow-up on this post for anyone else who has a large product database and experiencing session timeouts.

My clients VPASP website has over 61000 products in the database. This was causing us problems not only as explained above but also in the admin when trying to load the view/edit products screen and bulk edit screen many times they would timeout due to the time it was taking to load the page. Also, I could never export more than approx 30000 products, anything more then it would timeout. I couldnt import more than 20000 at a time and the list goes on and on.

Then my client took my advice and we got a dedicated server on the starter level. Specs: xeon 3050 Dualcore 2.13Ghz cpu, 1g ram, 160g HD.

The difference is unbelievable. It's like we have moved up from an under powered saloon car to a high performance Mercedes! VPASP is now a pleasure to drive with no sessions being lost, no timeouts, reports on demand and working in the admin is now a pleasure. The most important thing for my client is that sales have increased significantly too.

So, if you are on a shared hosting package with a large database and suffering many of the above problems, it would be well worth it to upgrade your hosting package or even do as we have and get a dedicated server.

Thank you VPASP staff for your help on this issue
Go to Top of Page

grahamcrackerscomics.com
Starting Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - March 03 2008 :  21:39:30  Show Profile  Visit grahamcrackerscomics.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Axywebs -
I don't have any session timeout problems, though we do have a comparable sized databased and we are hosted on a shared server - - the problem I run into is the AMOUNT OF TIME it takes for a SEARCH RESULT to appear.
On average 7 to 9 seconds from the time you hit GO! Which is TOO long! I have fasterfox page timer loaded on firefox so I can see exactly how long. My question for you is did you see any significant improvement in SEARCH RESULTS speed when you switched to a dedicated server? The faster competition in my industry gets results in about 3 seconds which is where I'd like to be, but am not sure if switching to the dedicated server will make a difference.

thanks
--John Robinson
www.grahamcrackers.com

--John Robinson
www.grahamcrackerscomics.com
Go to Top of Page

axyswebs
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - March 03 2008 :  22:19:26  Show Profile  Visit axyswebs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John

FYI - We also have over 4000 categories and we utilise the prodcategories table.

I gotta say the speed of search wasn't at the top of my list at the time so I didnt do any speed tests at that stage. The site in general runs faster but i wouldnt like to say I improved search speed, if i did it wasnt much.

However, before we moved servers I did do some database indexing that did definately improve search speeds. I used to count 9-10 seconds and now it's 4-5. I would be very interest to see what result you get from my site? You can test at http://www.boilersparesdirect.co.uk/parts-online/ .

Tony
Go to Top of Page

grahamcrackerscomics.com
Starting Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - March 08 2008 :  15:30:47  Show Profile  Visit grahamcrackerscomics.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Tony -
Searched for 'boiler' came back in 3.224s, then searched for 'sealed' came back in 3.219s.
searched for 'oven' came back in 3.500s
searched for 'dual' came back in 6.125s (and only 5 pages of results compared to boiler which had over 40 pages of results.
Did 'dual' again, came back in 3.780s - must have been my Internet connection.
Your results are FAST and easily quick enough for impatient customers.
-----------------
Compared to my 8.00s for SPIDER-MAN to show results or BATMN, etc. Now - loading the entire page actually takes 10 seconds on my site, but that's because I have thumbnail images and am showing results of 50 products per page. I don't mind the FULL load time - it just bothers me how long it takes to start to show ANY results.

---------
I do log in to PHP MYADMIN about once a month and index the files - but I don't see much of an improvement from that.
---------
I'm always trying to compare my VP-ASP site with others but I'm surprised by how few customers sign their posts with their websites listed...

thanks

--John Robinson
www.grahamcrackers.com

Go to Top of Page

revrat
Starting Member

47 Posts

Posted - March 14 2008 :  13:49:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am hosted at Netfronts. The session time outs were really starting to kill me. I came to this board and followed the advise to ask my hosting company to put me in my own memory space and they did. It has been all well and good since.
Go to Top of Page

axyswebs
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - March 26 2008 :  20:33:00  Show Profile  Visit axyswebs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that John. When I went to your website I counted 49 seconds to load your homepage :-(

On searches of SPIDER-MAN and batman it was 8 seconds.

With regards to indexing, I made improvements when I indexed all the fields that are used for my search (apart from the description field). I actually did them one by one timing the query before and after indexing each field. There was an improvement on all the additional indexing I added. I havent been in and re-indexed since I set them up.
Go to Top of Page

SQLDude
Starting Member

41 Posts

Posted - October 15 2009 :  15:08:26  Show Profile  Visit SQLDude's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I use a UK hosting company called WebWizHost.com and they are just as fast as a West Coast US host from my East Coast US location. Bruce Corkhill is the person to talk to. They literally give you 5 x 100 MB of SQL Servers, maybe 12-15 MySQL dbs, IIS 7.5, Unlimited Domains and SubDomains, a great hosing panel from DotNetPanel, Windows 2008 R2 (on 64-bit servers) which is super, super fast, plus 5 GB of disk storage, 25 GB of bandwidth and lots more for about $1.00 per day paid quarterly. Plus you get white label hosting reseller options, too. For the next level of about $2.50 per day, you get 4-5 times the disk space, the number of 100 MB SQL Servers (15), and the bandwidth for only 3x the cost. Do the math. The support is terrific. The service is perfect and the extra goodies are plentiful. I have been hosting for 10 years now and while I like DiscountASP.NET, Intermedia.com and Alentus.com these guys are just the right size boutique shop to take good care of you for reasonable costs. The same services I get there for $35/month would cost me about $65-$85/month at DiscountASP.net

This year is my 10th Anniversary as a VPASP consultant. Suggestions made to Howard Kadetz which were adopted as part of the core VPASP system include the VeriSign Gateway which I actually debugged and validated, the Snitz Forums Application which you are using right now, and ChiliSoft ASP for MySQL and Linux. I have been developing both ASP, ASP.NET and SQL Server Applications for the same timeframe and my clients have included: United HealthCare, Bank of America, Sirius Satellite Radio, Sovereign Bank, Boston University Medical School, EMC Corp., TJMaxx Stores and several other Fortune 100 or Fortune 500 Companies.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00