Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Adding an item to the top-bar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

i2Paq
VP-CART New User

Netherlands
62 Posts

Posted - October 02 2007 :  06:44:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I've set-up a guestbook in my shop and want to add this to the top bar, next to the Features etc.
This I've managed to do but it will open up in a new window or it will open (and close my shop).
How can I have it open in the main windows where also the Contact Us opens?

Thanks!

THeVerve
VP-CART New User

117 Posts

Posted - October 03 2007 :  01:06:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you add guestbook link through the content management system ? You probable set it to open in "New Window" in the site menu setup.
Go to Top of Page

i2Paq
VP-CART New User

Netherlands
62 Posts

Posted - October 03 2007 :  02:40:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by THeVerve

Did you add guestbook link through the content management system ? You probable set it to open in "New Window" in the site menu setup.

I also set it to Same Window, it still moves away from my shop (shop gets replaced by the guestbook).
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - October 03 2007 :  04:42:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like you have a guestbook hosted by a third party which will automatically take you to the guestbook site and away from your shop. The only way to avoid this is to integrate your own guestbook on your site. I don't know the names of any software to do this but I know that it is available. I'm sure someone else in the forums can help.

Regards,

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

i2Paq
VP-CART New User

Netherlands
62 Posts

Posted - October 03 2007 :  05:52:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carfin

It sounds like you have a guestbook hosted by a third party which will automatically take you to the guestbook site and away from your shop. The only way to avoid this is to integrate your own guestbook on your site. I don't know the names of any software to do this but I know that it is available. I'm sure someone else in the forums can help.

Regards,

Carrol

Hello Carrol,

The funny thing is that the guestbook is located in a sub-dir on my site aka: my-site.nl/guestbook.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - October 03 2007 :  06:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

sorry but I don't really know enough about this subject to suggest a solution.

Regards,

Carrol
Go to Top of Page

Kidd
VP-CART Super User

Australia
373 Posts

Posted - October 03 2007 :  15:20:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
test
Go to Top of Page

i2Paq
VP-CART New User

Netherlands
62 Posts

Posted - October 05 2007 :  03:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No-one?
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - October 05 2007 :  05:03:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I also set it to Same Window, it still moves away from my shop (shop gets replaced by the guestbook).

Thats exactly what should happen.

Look at it from the softwares point of view.

You have the shop showing in your browser, then you decide to go to the guestbook (a completely different piece of software), so of course the browser drops the shop.

What you should do is place a link tot he guestbook but in the href tag use
target="_Blank"
This will then force the guestbook to open in a new window which from a marketing point of view is better.

If you have your guestbook opening in the same window as your shop you are effectively sending people away from your shop.

Picture the scenario - customer visits site, customer likes site, customer decides to buy from site, customer sees guestbook, customer opens guestbook (in same window), customer writes a fantastic review in your guestbook, customer forgets what they were looking at, customer goes back to google.

Now picture this scenario - customer visits site, customer likes site, customer decides to buy from site, customer sees guestbook, customer opens guestbook (in new window), customer writes a fantastic review in your guestbook, customer closes guestbook window, customer now sees original site still sitting there begging to have something purchased from it.

Which scenario do you prefer?

Steve
www.temptationsdirect.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

i2Paq
VP-CART New User

Netherlands
62 Posts

Posted - October 05 2007 :  09:30:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

*knip*

Which scenario do you prefer?

Steve

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the reply!

The scenario I prefer is where the guestbook would open in the same window where the Contact Us page gets displayed, so it looks like my Guestbook belongs to the shop, the customer stays "inside" my shop and can read or write a review.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - October 05 2007 :  09:32:48  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
in that case you'd need to integrate the guestbook/vpasp (assuming that the vpasp headers/trailers have dynamic vpasp data/content inside them), if not then you'd just paste the html-output of the headers/trailers into the guestbook's headers/trailers

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - October 05 2007 :  11:34:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
if not then you'd just paste the html-output of the headers/trailers into the guestbook's headers/trailers

But, correct me if I am wrong, wont that cause the VP software to act as if the session has ended?

I would make the guestbook look the same as your shop but have a link to it so that it opens in a new window. Believe me this will benefit you sales wise.

Steve
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00