Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Shipping increase
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - October 01 2007 :  06:18:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a number of items that really should carry extra shipping prices. But we don't want it based on the number of those items in the cart.

Its difficult to explain (especially on a Monday morning) but here goes.

There are approximately 10 items that are seriously heavy (out of 6000). If any of these items are added to the basket we want a surcharge of £5 added to the shipping.

Currently if an order is over £30, shipping is free. For this surcharge the original shipping would be removed but the surcharge would stay. To make life more complicated if a customer adds another item to the basket that would normally carry a surcharge another surcharge is NOT added. So the customer can order as many of the surcharged products whilst only getting one surcharge.

Hope that makes sense.

Anyway anyone have any idea how to do this? Or does it need custom coding done?

Thanks

Steve
www.clixgalore.co.uk/AffSelectProgram.aspx?AdvProgID=7911
www.temptationsdirect.co.uk

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - October 01 2007 :  08:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve,

I'm sure it's a custom coding job this one (unless BYZ has an add-on) You need an array of the 'heavy items' which would have to be checked when an item is added to the basket or the basket is updated, and code written to adjust the shipping cost based on the surcharge.

Regards,

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - October 01 2007 :  08:48:10  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yep; we don't have an addon for it I'm afraid, and carrol's analysis of what's needed is indeed I think what you'd need to do.
ie you would need to loop around all the cart items checking the heavy flag for all the products in the cart, and then once you've got the array you'd check any/all/none heavy/non-heavy values to work out what the surcharge etc would be, and then add an additional bit of logic that if they've got heavy items then shipping's no longer free.
the request sounds simple, but the logic to do it might end up surprisingly complex.
we've done a few customisations in the past along those lines, and it's always specific to the site and shipping-addons/config-values installed etc.
so, sounds simple, but to be honest shipping customisations like that are usually a lot more complex/awkward in practice, and normally take around a full day (or more, depending on the shipping addons in place) to get working exactly as per the request.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - October 01 2007 :  08:53:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Thanks Carrol and Simon.

I thought it might take a bit of customisation. As you said the logic of it is pretty straightforward but the I can see the coding being very complex.

Steve
www.clixgalore.co.uk/AffSelectProgram.aspx?AdvProgID=7911
www.temptationsdirect.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00