Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Search Engine Optimisation
 SEO - metas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - September 08 2007 :  07:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys
I have been having rant in another thread about metas and their inflexibility an only the barest being available .

Anyways

i think i finally may have an idea of what i need , it strikes me as being simple and possibly just a couple of lines of code

My issue is with CONTENT , or manually created html pages not the catagories or product metas which seem to be creating resonably effective metas .

Any time a catagory or product i shown the url seems to include the word "shop" somewhere ... so heres my idea !

I would like a peice of code to add to shoppage header that checks the url and if it include the word *shop* it excludes the meta creation within shoppage header and goes to a seprate folder and looks for file that matches that url and holds my customised metas

So you create a page called"widget info "

so you have a folder full of customised metas on your site , if the url does not include the word shop

as it doesnt it llok sin the metas folder and finds "widget info " and presents customised metas instead of the standard ones

code also includes a loop tht if it cant find a file in the metas file matching the page url then it defaults to showing standard metas

How does that sound ? I am not programmer and i am incapable of ceating such a peice of code , but it sound to me like one or twolines of code with a couple of "ifs "in it :-)

anybody want to create and share
and put me out my misery to stop me ranting !

PAUL

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - September 08 2007 :  09:20:01  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it sounds relatively simple as long as the naming convention for the meta-tag files are consistent

eg the meta tag file for "widget.asp" is called something like "widget_tags.htm"

however, it depends on whether or not you want any of the logic in your widget_tags.htm file to be dynamic or static as to how it could best be done.

if static then you'd check the physical existence of the file, and if it exists then read the file and then output it as-is (ie like a template file would), if the file doesn't exist then just do the normal meta-tag output.

there are loads of different ways of doing it (tags stored in data etc), but the above would probably be the simplest to achieve coding-wise.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)