Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 how and what "backup means"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dwight
VP-CART New User

USA
143 Posts

Posted - August 23 2007 :  10:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am ready to upgrade from 6.50 to 6.50.1.
I use a remote server.
Question(s)
When told to back up files before upgrading, what do I backup and how.
1) do I create another folder on my server
2) do I ftp everything to my local computer.
then do I backup
1) everything
2) or just the .mdb file

Any success stories would be appreciated.

AftrBrnr
Starting Member

32 Posts

Posted - August 23 2007 :  14:14:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A good rule of thumb is to back-up everything any time you upgrade anything you don't want to lose, whether it's a database or Outlook and its .PST file.

That being said, if the upgrade ONLY involves the db you're probably safe just backing up the db. If scripts are upgraded, backup everything. Why? Because the scripts read / write to the db. While it's VERY unlikely anything at the release phase will damage your cart, it's ultimately your responsibity.

As far as how to go about it, I'd pick a typically slow time (Sunday night's are when we do this kind of work), stop / close the site because some files (like Access) don't like to be bothered whilst they're thinking and download a copy to your local machine. -Perform your upgrade and reopen. If all went well, keep it running. If not, re-upload your (working) files to stay in business until you can sort out what went wrong

If it's working as advertised after a week, do the same thing but burn your downloaded files to a cd and keep them somewhere safe. Why? Well, your ISP's servers run hard drives and hard drives fail. My 2 cents

AftrBrnr

Edited by - AftrBrnr on August 23 2007 14:16:59
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - August 23 2007 :  14:17:37  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yep; I agree; all that, plus make sure you close the site to visitors while you're doing the upgrade (ie as mentioned in afterburner's post), either by using the shopclosed config option, or by using something like our site-suspender:

http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=147

in general, you can never have too many backups, so always keep local copies of the site on your pc, and also back those up on some kind of backup-hard-disk that you have physical access to; better to use copious amounts of disk space than potentially lose files/changes. never rely solely on the host's backup procedure; always have your own too just in case.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on August 23 2007 14:21:47
Go to Top of Page

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - August 31 2007 :  04:30:45  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What would you recommend when running on SQL server but not having anything locally that can back up the database?

Ask the host to run a backup that you can access and then save?
If so, how often?
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - August 31 2007 :  04:43:01  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the host would normally run regular backups of all their sqlserver databases, usually weekly, and they'd normally give you a link for downloading the backup file (the backup file would be the sqlserver equivalent of an access mdb file which you could use to restore the database to any host/sqlserver)

your best bet would be to look at the host control panel to see if they've got options for creating/downloading a database backup, because often they put it on their control panel, and if you can't spot it then send the host a support ticket and ask them about it.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on August 31 2007 04:44:17
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000