Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 6.50 Features and Facilities
 Shop closed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

faolie
VP-CART New User

98 Posts

Posted - August 15 2007 :  12:55:57  Show Profile  Visit faolie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
setting xshopclosed closes the entire store, ie it just puts up a vpasp image saying the shop is closed. That's it.

I thought that this feature allowed people to view the site but just not buy anything?

David Heriot

Scooter
VP-CART New User

USA
102 Posts

Posted - August 16 2007 :  03:00:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi David

Set xproductcatalogonly maybe better for you.

Think xshopclosed is to close down lot site.

S.
Go to Top of Page

faolie
VP-CART New User

98 Posts

Posted - August 17 2007 :  03:29:41  Show Profile  Visit faolie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Scooter

thanks for the pointer. I'll use that - pity it doesn't show prices though.

Generally - support please note - this whole shop closed is a bit clumsy. It isn't mentioned in the guide and the system explanation is incorrect - users can't access the shop at all. Also when xshopclosed is used it seems to use a file called shopprintheader as a template, which brings up a default vpasp logo? Nothing about that either.

Can this be reviewed for the next release?

David Heriot
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - August 17 2007 :  03:55:03  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The shopclosed thing is a pretty vital aspect, especially for shops that undergo maintenance quite often or who close for holidays etc.

The only potential problem/catch is that vpasp as a cart is huge, so expanding the shopclosed logic might not be too high on the priority list, but on the other hand some merchants/site-owners do want/need specific options.

There's also the situation whereby a site owner might want to access all the customer functions while the site is closed (eg for testing following an upgrade, or during installation), but not let their customers use them.

And another aspect to consider is that vpasp might only be one element on a site; a site could also have separate areas such as forums, blogs, support areas etc etc, and you might also want to close those down at the same time (or at least have the option of closing them down individually)

Anyway, the upshot is that I reckon anything to do with these aspects is probably best done by a separate dedicated tool (mind you, I'm biased I guess because we've created such a tool) -

Site Suspender:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=147

That'll let you close the site for the customers while you can enter a password from a special url and temporarily override the closed-site check for your browser session. Very useful for when you do upgrades/installs etc.

What we want to do is keep that tool constantly reviewed/updated according to feedback that we get (that's one of the reasons I think a dedicated/separate tool is a good idea, as it's more responsive to feedback than an entire cart as it's much easier to maintain/upgrade as a separate entity, and it also means that the tool can be used outside vpasp)

That tool is generic (ie it's not just for vpasp; you can use it on anything that uses asp)

The tool was only released a couple of weeks ago, but the notes in this topic are interesting ones and give us a few pointers to how we could enhance it on the next version. Given the other comments in this topic I think enhancing the tool to have a config list where you can specify individual files and their corresponding down-for-maintenance urls would be a good thing to add. That way you could add "shopaddtocart.asp" and "shopcustomer.asp" to a specific list of urls in the config options, while also still being able to close-down the entire cart if you wanted to. If more than a handful of people would like that then we'd definitely add it to the addon.

We're open to ideas on this front regarding the addon, and as it's quite an easy addon to maintain from our side the changes would be done pretty quickly and people who'd bought it in the last 6 months would get a free upgrade as per our other addons.

We've used the tool for several client sites while doing upgrades/installs etc, and it's been really useful, and it's comforting to know that while testing things out ourselves normal visitors still don't get to see the site and all the convert/create/diag files are safe from hackers during the installation/upgrade.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on August 17 2007 04:38:22
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000