Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Change description column width and Separate items
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

timvandyke
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - July 17 2007 :  13:28:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My company uses VP-ASP for an internal clothing order. I am looking to customize the shopdisplayproducts.asp page... my description column seems to be a variable width making it to small for the description to fit. It makes it very narrow. I would like it to be wider. I noticed that if i place a long description in my product features (Size) that it stretches the column and my cdescription field is the width I would like it to be. Also, I would like to know where to add a horizontal line so that it separates each different items. Could anyone help me out... I would appreciate any help...

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - July 17 2007 :  18:12:37  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the reason it makes it wider is because, say the description field is set to 50% wide, but the poplist ends up taking 75% width because it's a big value, then the browser will display it as 75% despite the 50% width set on the column.

ie any non-breaking/continuous output will force the column to be wide enough for the value to fit without wrapping round to the next line, regardless of the column settings.

(oops; just spent ages explaining where the code is, and forgot it's in shop$colors.asp, so I've edited this reply and cut out all the rubbish)....

just change your "ProdDescriptionColumn" setting in shop$colors.asp from using "100%" to a fixed size of, say, "500"

or change it to a smaller percentage width; my guess is that using "100%" for a column width (eg instead of "50%") is making the browser ignore the width setting as there's more than one column being shown. The overall table will still be spreading-out to the full width anyway, regardless of the description column's width.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on July 17 2007 18:28:14
Go to Top of Page

timvandyke
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - July 18 2007 :  07:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much for the assistance... i really appreciate it... it takes me some time to try to customize the cart. Thank you again for your time and response... Would you know how to separate the products with a hoizontal line. ie. like if you look on the ../shopping/default.asp page and all items are separated. I would like this look for my shopdisplayproducts.asp. Any insight would be great.
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - July 18 2007 :  07:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could add a line break to the foot of the template that you use for displaying the products. The default template is tmp_productformat.htm which is used by shopdisplayproducts.asp

Regards,

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

timvandyke
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - July 18 2007 :  09:13:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the <HR> advice. I did do what you suggested but it still did not show up on my shopproductdisplay.asp... do we think there is another instance that we need to add a <HR>... i really appreciate all of the assistance.

Thank you,
Tim
Go to Top of Page

timvandyke
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - July 18 2007 :  09:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i also am trying to change the width of this description...

const ProdDescriptionColumn="<td class=""vt"" width=""500px"" style=""background-color:#990000"">"

Do i have to change it anywhere else for it to actually make the change... it is very weird that i change the background color to bright red... and it changes instantaneous but when i change the widht it still stays as a variable width or conforming to a fixed percentage...

do i have to change any other widths...

any advice would be greatly appreciated...

thank you,
Tim
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - July 18 2007 :  10:54:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tim,

The width of Product Description should really be altered in the corresponding column in the templates. If you change the size of the column which includes [translate cdescription] in tmp_frontpage.htm (the default.asp product display template) you should see the width change after you refresh the page. This should also be applied to other templates for your shopdisplayproducts.asp (tmp_productformat.htm) and shopexd.asp (tmp_product.htm) if required. You have not mentioned which version of VP-ASP you are using which may limit the use of templates.

Regards,
Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk

P.S. I'm finished for the day now so I won't be able to view the forums until tomorrow
Go to Top of Page

timvandyke
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - July 18 2007 :  11:24:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carrol,
Thank you so much for your assistance... I am looking into this now but i am not having a lot of luck... I am currently using VP APS 6.50 (the free download) we have also purchased the this cart but I have not started to customize that one yet... i have changed the [translate cdescription] width in all three of the tmp_files... It still is not adjusting to a fixed width...

i am really appreciating you insight... I would like to thank you again for assisting me with this as well...
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - July 18 2007 :  11:35:41  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yep; it depends on whether or not you use templates for the product summary pages; the logic goes down a completely different path depending on that factor. similar thing applies to where to put the "<hr>" tag; eg if not using a template for it you'd probably have to colspan it across the product summary row in the nitty-gritty code, spanning it using the correct number of columns. if you use templates for it then you could just add an <hr> to the relevant bit of the tmp_productformat.htm (product summary template) file.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

timvandyke
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - July 18 2007 :  11:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simon,
Thanks much... i was wondering, do i have to go to the Admin and delegate that i am using a template... or is it automatically assumed... i am using the free version of VP ASP 6.50... can i make customization changes in the free version...

Simon thank you for all of your help as well... Could you let me know...

Thank you,
Tim
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - July 18 2007 :  13:53:49  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ah; the free version has quite a few functions missing/blank, so it's possible that you might not be able to achieve everything you're after with that.

the config option to switch templates on/off for the product summary page is:

xProductwithhtml

which says:

If Yes, the normal product formatting is replaced by template formatting. A sample template is supplied as tmp_productformat.htm. You can modify this file to suit your special product formatting requirements

ie if that's switched on then it'll use the tmp_productformat.htm template, otherwise it'll just use the nitty-gritty asp code instead.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)