Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Secure FTP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dwight
VP-CART New User

USA
143 Posts

Posted - June 29 2007 :  12:51:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My website is on a remote server, therefore I use an ftp software to upload, download, edit etc.... My question is after reading several postings talking about hacker, what are your suggestions on using FTP software. Does it have to be "secure ftp", encrypted, just have a password, etc...
My software is globalscape and it works great. They offer a secure ftp software for $495 and hopefully thats overkill. What is everyone else doing or is it something not to worry about.
Thanks again
Dwight

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - June 29 2007 :  13:25:40  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
that's overkill I reckon, and $495 is a ridiculous amount to pay for ftp.

I use 2 main types of ftp, depending on the kind of thing I'm doing.

AceFTP (free)
http://software.visicommedia.com/en/products/aceftpfreeware/

BeyondCompare (free trial period, then paid)
http://scootersoftware.com/download.php

beyond compare is nice because it does full and easy-to-spot comparisons, highlighting things at all levels in relevant colors etc. BeyondCompare is also my "last resort" ftp; I've found that if an ftp connection doesn't work with beyondcompare then it won't work with any thing, whereas the free ftps are a bit more temperamental.

But, the main thing is to make sure you change your ftp pwd fairly often just in case you gave it to someone legitimately a while ago but you then need to make sure only you have access from that point on.

Beyond compare is the best I've found, and it's only $30, so $495 is just a mad amount of money to be asked to pay unless it's some kind of lifetime subscription to a secure channel/connection.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on June 29 2007 13:29:43
Go to Top of Page

dwight
VP-CART New User

USA
143 Posts

Posted - June 29 2007 :  19:16:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I agree. But do I need my FTP to be a "secure ftp" or one that is encrypted, or just change the password occasionally.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00