Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Search Engine Optimisation
 SEO .. is this my imagination ? ( Metas )
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - June 17 2007 :  20:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been using VPASP for many years ....but previosuly i always built the skin of the site and just manually linked in the products from the database .........so i always had 100% control over the metas on each page and vpasp was always good at product keywords

However just upgrading to V6 and just noticed the content pages have ZERO options to at metas .

EVEN more intrigiung ! if you decide to create standalone page and call in the headers and footers with <%shoppageheader%> it seems to do this magic trick of overwriting the metas ( indeed the WHOLE )of the HEAD file from standalone page . its liek it never existed

I am "viewsourcing" and staring in disbeleif here ...surely this cant be ! ....so you create 10 "content " pages ... they all have identical metas OR you create 10 standalone page but call in headers/footers for sake of consistency and they all have identical metas ? urgh ? DOH !

Surely this cant be , i am pretty sure i must be misinterpreting somehting here , i must have done somethign wrong

PLEASE ADVISE

PAUL

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - June 19 2007 :  17:53:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does nobody care ?
Go to Top of Page

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - June 26 2007 :  19:52:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im growing a beard here guys ... surely SOMEONE must have some thoughts on this subject.

Infact i am starting to think this thread is invisable , even BYZ aint been in to promote his addon

PAUL
Go to Top of Page

dunpeal
VP-CART New User

70 Posts

Posted - June 27 2007 :  00:40:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul,
Interesting, So you built regular html pages in somthing like dreamweaver then linked in VPASP products into it via normal hyperlinks ?
Go to Top of Page

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - June 27 2007 :  07:13:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yip , I call in cats from left menu .

http://www.yoursite.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=23&cat=yourtext+yourtext

( the id= ? is your chosen catagory number )

Great to see I am not invisable ! but how about this search engine / metas issue ? anybody any thoughts ?

PAUL
Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - June 28 2007 :  01:23:36  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have talked about this a lot in the past. I did a bunch of mods to make truly dymanic meta tags. They are created off the the category and products databases, so the are pretty acurate as to content.

http://www.apswater.com

Although I have purchased all the upgrades, I have made so many mods to 4.5 that I hate to upgrade it.
Go to Top of Page

dunpeal
VP-CART New User

70 Posts

Posted - June 29 2007 :  14:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice one Apswater, Those mods work great! Where can i find more info on these mods ?
Go to Top of Page

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - July 02 2007 :  19:37:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be quite frank i am starting to get angry with this cart system.............. once again i find myself in a situaion of disbelief .

How can a CART SYSTEM NOT be SEO friendly , how can a cart sytem NOT kick out variable metas as standard , surely this is basic stuff , surely this is top 20 needs in a cart and bread and butter stuff .

As well as being angry with the cart i am angry with myself , i really feel duped ... i wish i had never started the upgrade ...i really thought the upgade to 6.5 would be a vast improvement but all its brought me is pain.

Seriously how can ANY cart system that kicks out the EXACT SAME META for EVERY PAGE be taken seriously ........its slowly dawning on me that this really is the case and i REALLY cant beleive it . I hve been with vpsp for easily 5/6 years and if i had thought this was the case it would have been DUMPED on day 1 ........... how could this have sneaked past me ......... how can the developers of vpasp sell a cart system that does this .

Surely folks i must have this wrong , surely this is kindergarden stuff for a cart system ? I really really need someone to come along here and tell me its all in my imagination i simply need to "turn this setting on or tweak that setting "

PAUL
Go to Top of Page

dunpeal
VP-CART New User

70 Posts

Posted - July 02 2007 :  22:13:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it looks like aspwater got it working so maybe he can enlighten us
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - July 02 2007 :  22:51:25  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's a posting somewhere on the forum (can't find it offhand though) which mentions how to change the category metakeywords to use a category column (ie other than catdescription) for the category keywords. (basically the relevant functions are in shopheaders.asp, just look for "dynamic" and you'll spot them)

This isn't just a shameless plug, but the following addon could/would be extremely useful for those who are browsing through this topic and wondering how they can enhance their keywords data/output/usage:

VP-ASP KeyWord Administration Tools:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=150

(it also includes the keywords template-field addons as part of it, so that you can optionally show your keywords as search text links on each product page/chunk)

SEO is a huge topic, and there are lots of issues related to this kind of thing, generally the chances are that if you're needing some logic added/changed that someone else has probably already done it somewhere/somehow. (category related metas seem to work fine for me when I tried it on default 6.5, the only problem was that the keywords are sourced from catdescription instead of a dedicated keywords column, but that's easily fixed by tweaking the "catdescription" bit in the relevant shopheaders.asp function to use, say, one of the other category columns)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on July 02 2007 23:04:38
Go to Top of Page

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - July 06 2007 :  19:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi BYZ

Many thanks for info , I really hope this does not come across as cheeky but i am not looking to add logic/or edit logic or reprogramme or buy add ons or do anything to the system ... surely i should not have to .... THIS IS A MATURE CART SYSTEM that has been around for many years ....... it should not need reproramming out of this box so that metas are different on every page .

I simply dont understand how i could have missed this all these years ... i am not looking for anything complicated .... i simply want to create a page and NOT HAVE THE SAME METAS as the previous ten i just made .

I bought into the idea of content pages , great idea i thought ..low maintaince ! but effectively useless .........EVERY PAGE HAS THE SAME METAS !! WHY ON EARTH WOULD ANY ECOMMECE SITE WANT THAT !.

Ok so i think , dont stress i will manually make the pages/metas and call the headers and footers in only to find it frigging deletes the whole HEAD file on the page youve just created ..... SO EVERY PAGE HAS THE SAME METAS !! WHY ON EARTH WOULD ANY ECOMMECE SITE WANT THAT !.

I just cant beleive a cart his mature has not addressed this issue and thats why i am still asking is this just me ? i m still waiting on support to come along and pat me on the head and say dont be silly paul youve got it all worng ...either that hold their hand up an say well actually when it comes to metas you would be as well forgetting content pages as we dont care about SEO , an err if you doing them manually you REALLY will have to do them manually .. no shortcuts for yuo boy !

VPASP site used to have a list of customer sites , i cant find it now ..does anyone know if it still exists .

Would be interesting to know how many of those sites are kicking out same metas for different pages

PAUL
PS ... BYZ please dont take it as thought i am shouting and ranting at you ..i am generally ranting at th world in disbelief ... come on cam explain this one !

Edited by - bluesky on July 06 2007 19:37:14
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - July 07 2007 :  04:22:23  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
(don't worry; I know you're not getting at us)
keywords are available in content from what I can see, without any code amendments needed; you just plug them into your contents.other1 field, then they should show up in the content page header keyword meta tags. If that's not working, then there must be a bug somewhere.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on July 07 2007 04:23:51
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - July 08 2007 :  21:21:38  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes Paul, these options do exist and are explained quite clearly in the User Guide in the Search Engine Optimization section.

Explains in detail how to set VP-ASP up so you can have your own meta tags and descriptions.

When you get a moment you should have a look in the Guide as it has a wealth of information on setting up your store. Might stop the need to have a rant even.

Cam
VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - July 13 2007 :  18:53:43  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry, i havent been following this forum. Ill subscribe now so we can talk about it.

I am using 4.5 still because I made so many mods. I want to upgrade, but I dont have the time just yet.

I made all my pages have totally dynamic meta tags, but I did it in asp. I added it in the shopsiplayproducts and catergories as well as in the shopexd.

You cant put it in the templates easily. It is best to do it in the asp page before it calls the headers.

I also have to add I am not a pro programmer. The code is pretty complicated because I convert everything into keywords... but skipping that for now all you do is in those files at least for 4.5, you do something like

<html>
<head>
<title><%=title%></title>
<meta NAME="description" content=" <%=cdesdcription%>" />
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
<meta name="rating" content="GENERAL" />
<meta name="resource-type" content="document" />
<meta name="revisit-after" content="1 Days" />
<meta name="ROBOTS" content="ALL" />
</head>
<body>

of course this assumes that before this point in the program it does a lookup from the database.

This would be a good app for simon to do.

Unless you are fairly proficient at asp you shouldnt try it. I looked at the code I wrote and it is spread out through the programs, and I dont really have to time to document it.

All you have to do is call the database and load the title and description with the product name and product descriptions, for keywords I took description and replaced all the spaces with commas and got rid of all the basic words like a, an, the and such. it is a long list. At my peak I had 9000 pages indexed in google. I do have mostly top placement for all my keywords i want. Google mostly grabs the title and description. So the keywords are not super important. I added them and my count dropped but I think it is just because google eliminates pages no one clicks on. Now we have about 1600 pages with 1800 products.

I also do it here on a dynmaic page creator

http://www.apswater.com/article.asp?id=70

here is an example of how I did it there. I took out some security stuff, but it will still give you the basic idea.

<%
dim oconnts
dim rsTs
dim mysqlTs
dim titleTs, texttn, DateTs, xTn, idTs, QueryStringTs, securityTn, datetn

Set oConnTs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

oConnTs.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=(path to database) .mdb"

mysqlTs = "SELECT * FROM technotes Where " & QueryStringTs

set rsTs=oConnTs.Execute(mysqlTs)

do until rsTs.eof
titleTs=rsTs("titleTn")
texttn=rsTs("TextTn")
'texttn=replace(texttn, "<br>", vbcrlf)
texttn=replace(texttn, vbcrlf, "<br>")

texttn=replace(texttn, vbcrlf, "<br>")
texttn=replace(texttn, chr(34), "'")
'

idTs=rsTs("id")
datetn=rsTs("dateTn")
xTn=xTn+1

dim kw, kw2

kw=replace(texttn," ", " ")
kw=replace(kw,"<br>", "")
kw=replace(kw,";", "")
kw=replace(kw," ", " ")
kw=replace(kw," ", " ")
kw=replace(kw,".", "")
kw=replace(kw, "</li>", "")
kw=replace(kw, "<li>", "")
'kw=replace(kw," ", " ")
kw2=replace(kw ," ", ", ")
kw2=left(kw2,255)
kw2=replace(kw2, "-", "")
kw2=replace(kw2, " a,", "")
kw2=replace(kw2, " is,", "")
kw2=replace(kw2, " in,", "")
kw2=replace(kw2, " for,", "")
kw2=replace(kw2, " the,", "")
kw2=replace(kw2, " of,", "")
kw2=replace(kw2, " most,", "")
kw2=replace(kw2, " are,", "")

%>

<html>
<head>
<title><%=TitleTs%></title>
<meta NAME="description" content="<%=left(kw,255)%>"
<meta NAME="keywords" content="<%=kw2%>">

<!-- <%=left(kw,2048)%> -->

</head>

<body>

<!--#include file="shoppage_header.htm"-->

hope it helps.
Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - July 16 2007 :  19:06:22  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maybe you all have some thoughts on this....

I was able to make my shopexd.asp spit out the product name and catalog number as part of the URL.

ie.

Was
http://www.apswater.com/shopexd.asp?id=5857

Now
http://www.apswater.com/shopexd.asp?id=5857&Product=BS1001_Bacteria_Sampler_Test_Kit

I am trying to figure out what is the best way to format it for the search engines. I notice that in google, search terms that appear int he URL seem to do well. The ones I am talking about are like

Water_Softener.asp

but now I am trying after the get it right after the id=whatever

I looked at my personal search engine spider and it seems to skip stop reading the url string after it sees the &. I get the id=whatever, but nothing after that.

Does anyone have any ideas how google might look at the url string?
Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - July 16 2007 :  19:23:52  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Iok, I got the spider to read it. (I have a site map elsewhere I had to update), so the question is How should the url be formated for the search engine?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00