Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Comments about VP-ASP
 forum ... is it too vpasp specific ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  09:46:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder is this forum is busy enough ? ... yes its VERY vpasp specific and that has its advantages but i dont think its "sticky" enough to keep people here or have them come back more regularly , the more people here the more chance there is of them hanging around to help each other.

How about two new sections ...

Coding Help
SEO

anybody else want to throw few ideas in to start a petition !LOL

stone5150
VP-CART New User

USA
186 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  11:11:53  Show Profile  Visit stone5150's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it is a good idea to have a few more related topic areas.

Maybe even something like ASP and HTML
Go to Top of Page

Happy
VP-CART New User

90 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  09:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea Bluesky.

I am all for Coding Help and SEO. I guess ASP and HTML can be part of Coding Help.

Stone5150, I think having ASP/HTML in addition to Coding Help may be a bit confusing. What do you think will go in ASP and not in Coding Help?

Thanks,
Happy
Go to Top of Page

stone5150
VP-CART New User

USA
186 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  12:36:42  Show Profile  Visit stone5150's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it should be kept as simple as possible.

What is SEO?
Go to Top of Page

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  13:28:04  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Search Engine Optimization

Regards,

Eric in Maine
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  18:50:36  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

We are happy to add SEO to the list as i tihnk that is a great idea.

However wouldn't you just put your requests for coding help under customisation?

Some things get answered if people here know the answer and the ones that don't may need the assistance of a developer to fix up.

As it is people often cross post the same request so if we split them I can almost guarantee you I will get people posting in both and that could start to water down the forum as there will be queries answered in one topic and the same query ignored in another. That already happens a lot now.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

stone5150
VP-CART New User

USA
186 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  22:27:58  Show Profile  Visit stone5150's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I foresee the coding topic area being used for ASP, html, javascript, and other general coding type question not specifically related to VP-ASP code but still related to the shopping cart. I have had questions regarding code like I mentioned above, but luckily I have other resources. I imagine not all people do, plus it would help build the forum here, allowing people to look for all the answers in one place.

Edited by - stone5150 on May 03 2007 22:38:40
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  09:24:49  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our admin have added a new category for SEO. We will see how this one builds up and then look at adding the ASP category.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Cam
VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

ironhawker
VP-CART Super User

USA
260 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  02:58:00  Show Profile  Visit ironhawker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is there a linkt to the current FAQ for SEO
Like Getting Keywords into the parsed Pages, and something other than using p-other1. The reason imentioned this is I have used all 5 p-others and added 2 more. We have 65,000 products on one site I am working on, and it gets a little tedious to keep entering the same stuff over and over.
How would you set up having the System grab the keywords in the "Keywords field" to parse. It seems odd that it would not do that by default.
I saw this post... https://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5373&SearchTerms=seo that suggests
You can now define specific keywords for each content page by placing the relevant keywords in the "other1" field. The dynamic title is taken from the message field, and the description meta tag is taken from the message2 field.

In regards to the category meta keywords being the same as the category title, if you are not using the xdisplaycategoryfiles functionality, you could potentially use the catextra field to store your category keywords and then modify the SetupdynamicCategory subroutine in shopheaders.asp to look in this field for the keywords rather than the catdescription field.

You would need to modify line 110:
setsess "Dynamickeywords",Removehtmlheaders(rs("catdescription"), "<br>")

to

setsess "Dynamickeywords",Removehtmlheaders(rs("catextra"), "<br>")

Alternatively you could add a new keywords field to this table and store the details in that.
by Michael D

Why cant you just call the Keywords that are there?

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Randy "RC" Corn
Institute of Higher Learning

[email protected] 425-828-0738
Go to Top of Page

jayceew
VP-CART New User

USA
114 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  18:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about a VP-ASP hosting forum. I don't know how many are hosting with VP-ASP yet, but it could be a great forum.

Jack
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00