Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP set-up problems
 Confused about Database Conversion for 6.5
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - April 27 2007 :  22:32:17  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am currently using 5.0 and have installed all my new 6.5 files into a sub-folder on my server so I can test all the upgrades without affecting my live site.

I am confused as to how I am upgrading my Access database. When I run the convert650.asp file, what is actually happening? When I run these convert files, how am I converting my existing 5.0 live site database to the new version?

I have changed the shop$config.asp so far, but can't get past this. My diag_dbtest.asp test passed OK, but as far as converting my current files, how does this happen?

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - April 27 2007 :  22:39:00  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris,

You need to manually migrate your design and any customisations now across to the version 6.50 files.

Our upgrade utility upgrades your database so you do not lose any of your data. You do now need to manually change the look of the 6.50 package to suit your needs.

You can find the guide to upgrading at:
http://www.vpasp.com/helpnotes/

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - April 27 2007 :  22:43:21  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry for being thick here, Cam but I'm still lost. I am following the Upgrade instructions but don't see how it works. I've unzipped all 6.5 files in to a new folder as recommended. When I run convert650.asp, what is it converting? Is it somehow converting my Access database that is OUTSIDE this 6.5 folder? SHould I be copying my Access database from my live site INTo the 6.5 database folder and THEN running convert650.asp?
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - April 27 2007 :  22:57:56  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just thought I'd add that I copied my existing live site database into the 6.5 folder and changed the shop$config.asp to reference the new name of this database, but I cannot access my 6.5 test site now. I get this error:

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Error Type:
Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80040E37)
The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find the input table or query 'currencyvalues'. Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly.
/65test/shop$db.asp, line 2738

Browser Type:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

Page:
GET /65test/default.asp

I'm sure this has something to do with my conversion question. Any help is greatly appreciated and greatly needed.

Thanks,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - April 27 2007 :  23:04:11  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
By the sounds of it you may need to jump into the help desk so our support guys can help you out directly on your site.

Make sure you let them know what version of VPASP you are upgrading from.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - April 28 2007 :  06:46:41  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a quick follow up on this.

1. You need to point the new vpasp 650 to your existing database.

2. Before running the conversion scripts you need to go to the following FAQ for YVS users and follow the steps here:
https://www.vpasp.com/helpnotes/shopexd.asp?id=905#905

3. Once you have upgraded your database you can then start updating your site files.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - April 28 2007 :  12:03:35  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Cam, I'll give it a try.

I have this in to support, but will ask you as well. How do I point my shop$config.asp to my current YVS database, which is outside all the 6.5 files folder so the conversion works? Do I copy the current YVS databse and put it in the 6.5 folder with all the new files? How does the convert650.asp program know that the YVS databse is outside the 6.5 folder and where it currently lives on my live site? I'd like to do this conversion without affecting my actual live database first so I can test things first.

Thanks,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - April 28 2007 :  20:52:01  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To be on the safe side I would make some copies of your live database and point to that first and run a couple of upgrades so you are confident you have it under control.

Then, once you are comfortable, close your shop and make one last backup of your live database.

Now run the upgrade scripts and the manual changes against your live database.

Normally you shouldn't need to manually change the database however as you are coming across from YVS there are a few tweaks you will need to do.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - April 29 2007 :  10:15:11  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got it. Seems to be coming along so far, but lots more to do!

Thanks again for the help.

Chris
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00