Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Updating pages
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kane17
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - April 12 2007 :  10:48:17  Show Profile  Visit Kane17's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why is it that when you update settings, some things change instantly while other things take time?

It makes it difficult to see wether we need to wait for changes or wether we've incorrectly configured the changes to the page.

Thanks for any info

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - April 12 2007 :  12:47:13  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
for some session variables it seems to not update them unless you logout/login again.
if you logout/login then it should show/use all the new ones.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

Kane17
Starting Member

45 Posts

Posted - April 12 2007 :  14:11:44  Show Profile  Visit Kane17's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok I guess that part makes sense, but what about the site changes?

yesterday I configured the site to disclude the "People who bought this also bought the following.." section but it took the page an overnight wait in order to carry through, yet other updates to the databases seem to carry over instantly. after Click->Update, click->refresh. Boom, its there.

I'm trying to learn about what type of things I should expect a wait on and which I should see immediately carry over to the site.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - April 12 2007 :  15:41:08  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it might be that your isp or host is cacheing the pages, which sometimes happens (and it's very annoying) - to force a proper refresh, use ctl+f5 instead of just f5; that usually sorts out isp/host-cacheing problems.

(clearing your browser cache won't make any difference in cases like that; you need to either wait for the isp/host cache to take effect, or do a ctl+f5 on your browser; similar thing happens for javascript and stylesheet files)

also, another way of forcing database-held config options to take effect is to change the xshopid value in shop$config.asp (just add "001" to the end etc)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on April 12 2007 15:44:48
Go to Top of Page

kandi27
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  13:30:51  Show Profile  Visit kandi27's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am experiencing the same problem and followed your instructions to no avail. Can you give me another option. I really don't believe this is a case of the ISP caching it because these are database driven values.

I understand the concept in order to optimize the cart and make things faster, but during testing and also when it is live there should be a more optimal way of flush out old variables. I have installed this cart for several of my clients and I get completely frustrated sometimes trying to change options and not being able to see them. I have since learned to wait a day or two and it finally changes... but sometimes I don't have the luxury of this and need to know how to make it work immediately.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Go to Top of Page

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  15:34:31  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The CTRL + F5 trick almost always works for me. But I also have 4 different browsers installed to test with. So whenever something seems cached in my FireFox browser or somewhere, I fire up Opera and Netscape. I've never had to wait overnight.

This is speaking from experience of almost 2 dozen cart installs with varied levels of customization and db settings.

Also, if you are editing a language variable, you won't see that change until you reset the language. Similar for site menu, you've got to reload the menu.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Eric in Maine
Go to Top of Page

clw
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - May 11 2008 :  05:20:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For Firefox to "completely" clear the cache w/ one click of the mouse use this:
Clear Cache extension for the toolbar
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1801
otherwise ctrl+F5 it
Using different browsers is a good idea to see how things lay-out too.
You'd be surprised ha
Cw
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00