Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Problems and bugs
 Translation BUG ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

komtac
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - April 10 2007 :  15:39:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

(Using VP-ASP Deluxe 6.50)

Is VP-ASP in beta test ????

Here is something very annoying, I'm working with English and French translation. In my product LONG DESCRIPTION (english) I have a nice table with colored text, wich is fine, works well...

Then, I copy this table to to ADD TRANSLATION (french), one its pasted I see the table and I convert the text to french. Problem occurs when I click UPDATE, all of my LONG DESCRIPTION is gone, NOTHING ! BLANK ! DISAPEARED ! VANISHED !

I noticed if I add plain text without any color, the text will be kept. But if I apply some color to the text...and I click update, same thing happens, CLEARED, NOTHING!

tell me, is it a BUG ?

Adi,

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - April 10 2007 :  17:08:53  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Adi,

If you find this issue occurring, you should check the size of the data you are trying to insert, and the size of the field this data is inserting into.

By default with SQL Server, the translateproducts table's extendeddesc field is set to a datatype of VARCHAR and a size of 2000 (allowing for 2000 characters of text)

In some cases this size may not be large enough and you may need to change the datatype to TEXT or NTEXT

This should resolve the issues of your fields not updating when too much text is entered.

Thank you.

Michael
VPASP SUPPORT

Go to Top of Page

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - April 10 2007 :  17:20:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
or could it be your text contains some banned words ? characters ?

those symptoms sound similiar to issues i had updating content pages

PAUL
Go to Top of Page

stone5150
VP-CART New User

USA
186 Posts

Posted - April 10 2007 :  18:07:38  Show Profile  Visit stone5150's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Following is a list of banned words and characters:

select
drop
--
insert into
delete from
update
xp_
union
@@
|
<script
.js
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - April 10 2007 :  21:56:32  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Adi,

The default scripts create the translateproducts table with the description field as a fixed length column, while in the products table it is virtually unlimited.

You need to modify the structure of your translateproducts table to make the description field unlimited (Access = Memo field, SQL Server = text field, MySQL = longtext field).

If you have any problems doing this, please contact us via our helpdesk at http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/helpdesk and we will be happy to help.

We will be fixing this issue in a later release.

Regards,
Claire
VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

komtac
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - April 11 2007 :  12:12:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

You the problem is the size ! but its weird to believe that the programmers allow a lot of space for the description in english and the translation is limited ? Usually when I translate the size is almost the same, I'm not saying less...

Anyway, after a SQL table is created, how do you change its size ?
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - April 11 2007 :  18:19:35  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

To change the size of the field in the database you can either login using SQL Server Enterprise Manager and edit the table using that interface, or you can use a SQL script to modify the table.

To update it using a SQL script you need to -

1. Upload a copy of convertsql.asp to your server
2. Create a new text file and paste the following into it -

ALTER TABLE translateproducts ALTER COLUMN extendeddesc text;
ALTER TABLE translateproducts ALTER COLUMN cdescription text;

3. Save this file and upload it to your server

4. Open convertsql.asp in your browser - eg. http://www.vpasp.com/shopping650/convert650.asp (where http://www.vpasp.com/shopping650 is your URL)

5. Enter the name of the text file you created into the text field and click Convert

6. Delete convertsql.asp and the text file from your server.

Some SQL Server databases require that "TEXT" fields appear at the end of the table design - if this is the case, you may still experience problems as you are now. You will need to contact your host in this case and ask them to move the "CDESCRIPTION" and "EXTENDEDDESC" fields to the end of the "TRANSLATEPRODUCTS" table.

As before, if you have any problems with the process above, please contact us via our helpdesk at http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/helpdesk and we will be happy to help.

Regards,
Claire
VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00