Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 ASP Hosting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rustytec
VP-CART New User

Australia
113 Posts

Posted - March 27 2007 :  03:47:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I am after opinions on ASP hosts.

Has anyone had experience with Hostdepartment.com?

Also, I see there are posts about alentus.com. What is there SQL service like? Do they slow down at all?

I am with a host at the moment (still in development stages) and the site sometimes disappears. I tested with a HTML file and it comes up, I can connect to the SQL database ok, but the ASP pages are just dead - can't open?

So I'm not sure if it is host related, but I am a bit sceptical about using them for 'live' running.

Thanks for your time in reading this post, any feedback welcome.

cheers

Russ

rustytec

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 27 2007 :  04:18:06  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it might be that asp hasn't been enabled for the site; sometimes, even hosts/packages which include asp/asp.net don't automatically switch on the asp aspect; sometimes you'd need to go into their control panel and switch it on.

we use webecs.com, and they've been fantastically reliable for the last few years, which is more than I can say for all the other hosts that we tried in the past.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

Scooter
VP-CART New User

USA
102 Posts

Posted - March 27 2007 :  08:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I itnhk VPASP offer hosting now?

http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/hosting.htm

HMM, reading info it says coming soon? Anyone know when this is coming? VPASP?

S.
Go to Top of Page

Kidd
VP-CART Super User

Australia
373 Posts

Posted - March 27 2007 :  08:15:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
last time i asked they said next month, that was a week ago i think
Go to Top of Page

stone5150
VP-CART New User

USA
186 Posts

Posted - March 27 2007 :  09:07:34  Show Profile  Visit stone5150's Homepage  Reply with Quote
VPASP doesn't have their hosting up yet. I use Frontpages Web Hosting, they have been very helpful in getting the cart setup. They installed the first storefront and were very helpful in getting second storefront hooked to the same DB.
Go to Top of Page

zzzz8888
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - March 27 2007 :  16:09:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hostdepartment.com is very slow. Especially you use its sql server. You can see how slow their own webpages are!

Their email server is even worse. i used them for 6 months and moved away.

Edited by - zzzz8888 on March 27 2007 16:09:46
Go to Top of Page

rustytec
VP-CART New User

Australia
113 Posts

Posted - March 27 2007 :  17:46:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by devshb

it might be that asp hasn't been enabled for the site; sometimes, even hosts/packages which include asp/asp.net don't automatically switch on the asp aspect; sometimes you'd need to go into their control panel and switch it on.

we use webecs.com, and they've been fantastically reliable for the last few years, which is more than I can say for all the other hosts that we tried in the past.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com

thanks devshb for your pointer.

It seems to be intermittent, so I m not sure what is going on here? Trouble on the host side I suggest.

Thanks for you tip on webecs.com, I'll look into them.

cheers

Russ

rustytec
Go to Top of Page

rustytec
VP-CART New User

Australia
113 Posts

Posted - March 27 2007 :  18:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks everyone for your replies.

Getting the right host, with the right components and support when you need it, is paramount to anyone running an online store.

HTML web sites are not affected so much by a temporary 'out of service' with caching options, where as ASP - dynamic sites are stopped dead in the water.

Pursuant to getting the right web host - how do you work out how much space, bandwidth, MSSQL space you need?

What is a typical MSSQL database size? With MSSQL, is there ever a real need to 'archive' completed orders? Would you keep them there for a relative period, say 12mths for reporting?

Perhaps someone who is using an MSSQL database and has traded for some time might like to comment here.

Many thanks again to all posters and contributers.

cheers

Russ

rustytec

Edited by - rustytec on April 01 2007 05:22:10
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - April 01 2007 :  06:25:42  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Usually the default size of a sql database on any host would easily be enough; you'd really have to go some to need to enlarge it from a default.

Similarly, for keeping historic orders, normally there'd be no need to archive them off because sqlserver can cope with much larger data volumes than access (as long as the relevant tables are properly indexed, and that'll depend on what version of vpasp you're on, and whether or not you've manually checked/added indexes)

see also:
http://vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6350

http://vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4696

Generally it seems to be the amount of memory that the host sets aside for you that has the biggest impact; too little memory and the best database in the world would be useless.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com

Edited by - devshb on April 01 2007 06:28:41
Go to Top of Page

Al Gardner
VP-CART New User

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - April 01 2007 :  19:42:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

FWIW, I have been dealing with a hosting company called Hostmysite.com, based in the US, for about 8 years. In days where we all have horror stories galore about bad service, missing features etc, these guys are a real joy to deal with.

I find their prices extremely reasonable, excellent features packaged in, extremely reliable servers. Top that off with 7/24 toll free support that actually answers your call within 3 rings anytime of day.

I can't say enough good things.

Al
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00