Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 content editor faulty ? limits ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - March 23 2007 :  21:31:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya Folks
having a bit of a nightmare with the inbuilt content editor , first time i have used this feature so not sure what to expect.

the issue i am having is it seems to have limits ??? to how much you can write ....... is this the case ...... if theres no limit I need to look elsewhere for a problem .

i would say i am trying to get less than an A4 page of words in there .it accepts this no problem but once the page is updated everything looks fine

UNTIL

it comes back blank ......... I am losing faith ! with no warning this could be a huge problem if after a long while you go back to edit and add some content then suddenly it dissappears

Can anybody clarify whats going on ?

PAUL

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - April 06 2007 :  11:58:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anybody clarify whats going on ?
Go to Top of Page

stone5150
VP-CART New User

USA
186 Posts

Posted - April 06 2007 :  12:00:16  Show Profile  Visit stone5150's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Which content are you having problems with?
Go to Top of Page

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - April 06 2007 :  12:56:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all of them , thay seem to have LIMITS on how much info you can put in there and the limit aint huge.

As far as i can see from contenet template the "content" is pulled from this ... [translate message2] ... is there a way of incrasing the size or limit on this call

PAUL
Go to Top of Page

stone5150
VP-CART New User

USA
186 Posts

Posted - April 06 2007 :  13:05:49  Show Profile  Visit stone5150's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You could just use a template file for each and bypass the DB entirely with static content in an html page. I did that with Help and a few others on my site.
Go to Top of Page

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - April 06 2007 :  13:37:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
stone thanks , i might move onto that but first i need to confirm if this is just my site or what i would consider to be a cart "problem" ......... surely there cant be limits on the content pages ?

and if there is , then way it works is particulary painful without warning delelting all content in that page ....... if this is the case i consider this to be a SERIOUS problem with cart that needs to be addressed , not necassarily just for me but for the myriad of other users

can anyone else put some content into there content pages and tell me if theres a,limit on text etc ?

PAUL
Go to Top of Page

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - April 06 2007 :  14:01:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thinking this thru , the limit / constraint is likely within the database which means entering the database and increasing the limit ? was this "limit" set up on the initial build of database ?
and why ? or is it limited by the setting of host ?

OR
can anyone think of a way to string TWO content pages together ?

PAUL
Go to Top of Page

stone5150
VP-CART New User

USA
186 Posts

Posted - April 06 2007 :  15:17:55  Show Profile  Visit stone5150's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suppose you could change the tmp_content.htm to .shtml and use includes.

Though that doesn't really answer the question, it is another workaround.

Edited by - stone5150 on April 06 2007 15:25:27
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - April 06 2007 :  19:04:30  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul,

What sort of database are you using? And is it a new install or an upgrade from an earlier version?

The latest releases of VP-ASP now allow an unlimited number of characters for the short and long descriptions however early releases had a limit of 2000 characters.

You would need to change your database so the fields are ntext instead of varchar and move them so they are the very last fields in the database table.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - April 06 2007 :  19:20:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CAM
I have found this is not a database issue in the last 10mins , at least I dont think so ....... and the plot thickens!

If i go to a collegues website , copy as much text as i want to note pad .then copy it to my content page ..I HAVE NO ISSUES !! i can put as much text as i wish in ! No Limit !

If I go to my live sites , copy text to notepad , copy then copy it into my content page I can only get about two thirds of an A4 page in before the editor goes blank when i try to update it .

REALLY strange considering notepads meant to strip it out to plain text text but it seems notepad is carrying over something thats upsetting the editor when it comes from my dreamweaver created pages ..............

it seems if its gonna go wrong .... its gonna go wrong for me !!

Any ideas ?

PAUL

Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - April 06 2007 :  19:26:28  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We would need to have a look to see what is happening with this one. Sounds a bit odd.

You can submit in our help desk if you would like the support guys to have a peek.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - April 07 2007 :  03:24:23  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hi guys,
I think this is down to some kind of sqlserver bug, related to the 8k restriction. One of our customers is having the same problem; if they do:
select * from contents
on the advanced query screen, one of the fields comes back as blank even though it's not blank in the database.
I've been running around in circles trying to figure it out, but have become a bit stuck.
If anyone finds out the cause/solution, please post it here!

see also:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/blog/?p=11

(the symptoms are the same as that 8k bug, but the recordset is well within the 8k limit)

possibly 2 problems going on here; one which is a restriction to the number of characters allowed (depending on which version of vpasp you use), and the other more serious one of some values blanking-out after querying. it's the latter that I've got real problems with at the moment. The "text" columns are defined last in the table's column list too.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on April 07 2007 03:27:15
Go to Top of Page

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - April 07 2007 :  07:46:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK .... pages with 3500 words . I decided to copy over paragraph by paragraph to see if I could narrow the area of the problem ....... I did ... it seesm to come down to two words ??

can someone else please confirm they ca replicate this problem ............... please simply enter a content page you have backup for and add anywhere the following two words

update or

if it kinda flashes/stalls and comes back blank you have the same problem as me , the following is fine ...
updateor
update or ( two spaces )

however update one space or causes me untold grief

PAUL

Please replciate , please confirm ?
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - April 07 2007 :  07:53:03  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
AHA!!!!!

You are have hit a magic hurdle. The issue is hackers have taken control of a number of words and to prevent SQL Injections and to ensure version 6.50 is as secure as possible we have banned the use of a number of characters and words that can be used in the database.

This is not a desired solution but a very necessary one to ensure your site is kept as secure as possible.

What I will do is have tech support create a new help note on this one with what words and characters cannot be used as I think this will help everyone.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - April 07 2007 :  08:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cam

PHEW !!
well as I said if its gonna happen .... its gonna happen to me ......that simple issue frustrated me for weeks !!

anyway I also found out the "or" is a red herring , the series of words that causing me issue is the word update followed by a space

Painful indeed ...... would it be better ? to get the code to strip out the offending words/characters ? rather than send the page back blank ....better to lose the meaning of a sentance than the whole page?

if you feel this thread offers any clues/insipration to hackers please delete this thread

PAUL

Edited by - bluesky on April 07 2007 08:15:11
Go to Top of Page

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - April 07 2007 :  08:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK I moved onto the second page of my text I want to transfer ..and unbeleiveabley there appears to be another banned word

union

I had it as part of the word "reunion"

40,000 downloads ? and this is the first i have heard of this problem ...is no-0ne out there using "content" pages

PAUL
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00