Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 6.50 Features and Facilities
 1 DB for 2 carts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stone5150
VP-CART New User

USA
186 Posts

Posted - March 22 2007 :  19:45:16  Show Profile  Visit stone5150's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can I put the cart code in 2 different subdirectories on my site and point both to the same database files and have the same products on both but with different catagories and text on the home (default.asp in ap-asp directories) and other pages on both?

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - March 22 2007 :  20:16:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Likely will help more if you detail which verion you are using.

For 6 and under i have being doing similar to what you describe for years , with different html designed sites simply calling in catagories by having a mnaual link

http://www..mysite.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=27 etc

in a frame in left menu and using right frame for display of products ..its worked well for many years with 4/5 sites all running off the one admin area yet having different looks and catagories.
the main issue i have had is that I am still using frames , it looks outdated and is not a great way to design a site.

For version 6.5 vpasp have launched "productmatching" , I am still trying to find out more about this myself as the manaul is quite bare about it , so cant effectively answer any quries but as i understand it you place your one licenced copy in as mnay folders as you wish and adjust each to suit and it is all called from one database.
The key to it is one single line in the new version 6.5 config file were you detail which shop it is ....... and then you adjust the products to match that shop via the "productmatch" setting.

An interesting thing i have found out ( but not confirmed ) is that you can do all the donkey work setting up the footers , "general\" layouts and then use that as your master copy .which you then copy to as many folders as you like , adjust the productmatch setting in each folder ..and then either design a new look for that folder or buy a template to throw over it .i am likely making it sound simple but only time will tell if it is ! but thats my interpreatation of info i have picked up so far.

hope this helps

PAUL
Go to Top of Page

stone5150
VP-CART New User

USA
186 Posts

Posted - March 22 2007 :  20:19:50  Show Profile  Visit stone5150's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am using 6.5.
I also saw something about product matching but I can't find anything that tells how to use it.
Do you have any links or more info on how to set up the last thing you were talking about?
Go to Top of Page

bluesky
VP-CART Super User

304 Posts

Posted - March 22 2007 :  20:28:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya
I dont see any ONLINE help notes for version 6.5 , but you can download the manual , all 200 pages of it .

Theres only 1 page mentions product matching and its section 23.1 ..and its the second last page of the whole manual !!!

I am still about a week or two away from experimenting with this feature so if you get it up and running please come back and detail your experiences ..................

in particular i cant get my head around if you would need to log into each shops admin to deal with the daily housekeeping

PAUL

NOTE MY I HAVE PALCED A POST ABOUT SIMILIAR HERE ...
http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6763

Edited by - bluesky on March 22 2007 20:30:23
Go to Top of Page

stone5150
VP-CART New User

USA
186 Posts

Posted - March 22 2007 :  20:49:25  Show Profile  Visit stone5150's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have downloaded and printed the manual but I haven't gotten through it that far yet.

I subscribed to your other thread/question.
Go to Top of Page

stone5150
VP-CART New User

USA
186 Posts

Posted - March 22 2007 :  22:04:26  Show Profile  Visit stone5150's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.vpasp.com/helpnotes/shopexd.asp?id=788#788
Go to Top of Page

stone5150
VP-CART New User

USA
186 Posts

Posted - March 27 2007 :  12:22:55  Show Profile  Visit stone5150's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got it worked out.

I had to set db type to drive and put the physical path to the DB, i.e; c:/inetpub/wwwroot/db/..., since mine is hosted on Frontpages I had to call them and get the info tho, but the supplied it to me no problem.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00