Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 need different header for front page only
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kentara
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - March 14 2007 :  13:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been trying to find a way to have a different shoppage_header.htm for the front page of the store only (i.e. the top level display on shopdisplaycategories.asp). This is purely so that the front page can have a different look and feel or added textual content from the secondary pages (i.e. subcategories and lower).

Can anybody tell me how to do this? I am using version 5.50.

Thanks so much!

SeoDesigns
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - March 14 2007 :  21:21:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also need to have a different "home page" (for the rest of the site at www.santabarbarawine.com than the front page of the store. Although I've been a programmer for 30 years, I am new to VP-ASP and just purchased 6.5. I'm assuming from what I read about the product that there is a way to do this. In terms of time, I would really appreciate the code for this rather than my re-inventing the wheel to write straight ASP without input from those who are already VPASP-pros. Thanks! I'll be happy to share down the line when I can be of assistance. Thanks, Mark: mark - pavlich 'at' comcast DOT net.

quote:
Originally posted by kentara

I have been trying to find a way to have a different shoppage_header.htm for the front page of the store only (i.e. the top level display on shopdisplaycategories.asp). This is purely so that the front page can have a different look and feel or added textual content from the secondary pages (i.e. subcategories and lower).

Can anybody tell me how to do this? I am using version 5.50.

Thanks so much!

Go to Top of Page

Kidd
VP-CART Super User

Australia
373 Posts

Posted - March 14 2007 :  23:27:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kentara, idont have a copy of v5.50 but on your default.asp can you find something like this

<%shoppageheader%>

if you want, just delete that line, and create your own header on default.asp using normal html code.
Go to Top of Page

jayceew
VP-CART New User

USA
114 Posts

Posted - March 15 2007 :  16:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is how to do it In version 6.X, it may work in 5.5 ?

in shopheaders.asp, there is a procedure (sub) called ShopPageHeader. Copy the entire function (to the first place you see 'end sub' and then paste it below. Call this sub 'ShopPageHeader_Default', or whatever you want to call it. Then edit the line in the newly pasted sub that says

%>
<!-- #include file="shoppage_header.htm" -->
<%

change this to the template file you want to use.

Finally, in your default.asp, change the the line
<%shopPageHeader%>

to the name of the sub you just created. Repeat the process for the trailer templates if you like as well.

Then just modify shoppage_header.htm to make it look the way you want and save it as
ShopPageHeader_Default.htm, or whatever you want to call it.

Special Thanks to - craig simons who helped me with this on January 16 2006 11:55:14
Go to Top of Page

kentara
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - March 16 2007 :  12:07:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, all! I'm going to give these suggestions a try.

I'm new to ASP and shopping carts/VP-ASP, but I managed a temporary work-around that displays a blurb of text on the top-level shopdisplaycategories.asp page. I'm just not sure it's a terribly clean way to do things.

I added a "<!--#include file="frontpagetext.asp"-->" statement to shoppage_header.htm, then in frontpagetext.asp, put this:
<%
if Session("currenturl")="shopdisplaycategories.asp" then
if highercategoryid="0" then
response.write "Front page text"
end if
end if
%>

It seems to display my front page text only on the top level, without breaking subcategory pages. But again, it doesn't seem very clean to me!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00