Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 6.50 Features and Facilities
 Does 6.5 work better with SQL2005
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - March 08 2007 :  05:12:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone using SQL2005 is aware of the quirks/bugs that cause fields to blank out, or the inability to add a product to multiple categories, not being able to use templates, etc.

Does 6.5 work around any of these SQL2005 issues better than 6.09?

For my purposes, SQL2005 is still worth the pain, as I must use very long product descriptions and extendeddescriptions.

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - March 08 2007 :  03:17:57  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

I hope so as we ourselves are now on 2005. So far there have been no issues so good news to date.

We have been working through as many issues as we could find and believe we have dealt with most that it is possible for us to address.

Our whole site is now in the database including all static HTML pages and some of these have huge amounts of data and SQL works through it without a hitch.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - March 08 2007 :  11:31:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cam,

Thanks for the response.

Is there any concern that updating the database for 6.5 could be a problem? I re-arranged some of the columns a long time ago (dont remember why, but it fixed some problem at the time).
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 08 2007 :  12:30:52  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
moving the text/ntext columns to the end of the table is a way of getting round the sqlserver 8k recordset bug, see:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/blog/?cat=11

it's not a problem as long as your text/ntext columns come last in the table definition, and as long as your fixed-size columns don't add up to more than 8k (which they don't in default vpasp; you'd need to add quite a few columns or lengthen existing ones quite a lot to make it a problem)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - March 08 2007 :  17:00:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I guess an example of SQL2005 can be seen on this forum: most, but not all (and that's the killer...), of the "Read" fields are empty.

I'm glad Microsoft doesn't build airplanes.
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - March 08 2007 :  20:02:39  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LOL, reminds me of a GM comment about Microsoft and Windows and something about pushing the start button to stop the car.

We have made some changes to the Snitz forum as it was not dealing with SQL 2005 in some spots and all is now well as far as we can see.

Let me know if you see any other glitches as both the forum and our help are 3rd party software and people generally only contact us about our software :-).

Thanks!
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

extremeskillz
VP-CART New User

USA
94 Posts

Posted - March 10 2007 :  07:46:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have SQL2000 as it came with windows sbs 2003 premium package. I have configured it my shop yet as i am currently using the access database. What are the benefits of the sql over access?
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 10 2007 :  08:21:57  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sqlserver deals with multiple concurrent connections much better than access, and deals with bigger data volumes than access.

a good check is to see what size your prodcategories table is, ie:

select count(*) from prodcategories

(in the advanced query screen in admin)

if that comes back with around 50,000 or more than you're probably on the limits of what access can comfortably cope with and should consider moving to sqlserver. if it's over 100,000 then definitely move to sqlserver. if it's less then 20,000 then it's not worth moving at all unless you get loads of concurrent visitors.

that's just a very rough guide, but it suits most situations; once you get over about 50,000 records in a table/query access drags its feet a lot whereas sqlserver (if properly indexed) will be fantastically speedy.

(for the "prodcategories" check above, also check for products, and oitems, and customers)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on March 10 2007 08:23:15
Go to Top of Page

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - March 10 2007 :  13:07:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I made my comment above that some of the "Read" boxes were empty, it was based on my observation of those particular boxes on this thread. Today, I notice that all of the boxes are displaying correctly.

I'm curious. What was the fix? (thinking that I might be able to follow a similar fix when dealing with this type of issue on my site).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00