Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Updating problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - February 18 2007 :  04:23:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I can't seem to update any products in the admin screen.

When I go into the product update screen and make a change the change isn't saved.

I am using MS SQL.

Any ideas anyone?

Steve

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - February 18 2007 :  04:27:46  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
might be the dreaded sqlserver 8k recordset bug/restriction; check whether or not your products table has the text/ntext columns last in the list of the columns for the products table, if it doesn't then you might be effected by that bug (a microsoft bug, not a vpasp bug)

another possible symptom of that bug taking effect is if you're using cross-selling or also-bought lists (either our addons for that, or the normal vpasp functions for that) on your product-detail pages; if those don't show the prices on the sub-products then you're effected by the bug. That's not a guaranteed way to check if you're effected but it's a common symptom.

we'll be releasing a check-size script soon (which looks at the definitions and data of all your tables and works out if you're in danger of being effected by the ms bug) - that bug only effects sqlserver, not access or mysql.

also, sql2005 won't give you an error for it and just corrupts your data instead, whereas sql2000 will usually give you a proper error and stop in its tracks, thereby not corrupting your data. hence we usually advise people to use sql2000 where possible instead of sql2005.

it's a microsoft bug, not a vpasp bug, but vpasp have found/done a work-around for it in their later versions of their sql creation scripts by moving the text/ntext products columns to the end of the table (not a 100% guaranteed fix, but would effectively stop the problem from happening in most sites; depends on the data in the table). Not sure why microsoft didn't fix it when going from 2000 to 2005, they still call it an acceptable restriction rather than a bug, which drives me nuts, especially as 2005 doesn't let you know when it becomes a problem.

having said that, if you haven't got the latest patches applied then it might be a vpasp bug.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on February 18 2007 04:43:00
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - February 18 2007 :  04:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply, but how do I edit products?
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - February 18 2007 :  04:46:01  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
double-check you've got all the patches applied first, just to make sure it's not that.

if you are effected by the sql bug then you'll need to readjust your product table to cater for it, and shouldn't edit/create/import any products until you've done that, otherwise your data will be in danger of getting corrupted. 2 things to do on that front; first move your text/ntext columns to be last in the products table, and if that solves it then you can (probably) carry on editing products with little risk. the full solution (ie after moving those columns, ie the second thing to do) is to run something like our size-checker, then reduce the size of relevant columns to fit in with your data.

it's a truly horrible bug, which we only found out about a few months ago; every site's 100%/full solution is different as it'll depend on your data.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on February 18 2007 04:49:52
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - February 18 2007 :  04:52:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using the latest version of vpasp, so all the patches are there.

In the products table I don't have a field called text or ntext, or are you talking about the cdescription and the extendeddesc fields. If so they are alreaady at the end of the products table.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - February 18 2007 :  04:56:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a way of amending the data via Enterprise Manager?

Also does this mean that I can never amend the products now?

Steve

Edited by - Steve2507 on February 18 2007 04:57:50
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - February 18 2007 :  05:06:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
devshb, from reading your replies it seems as though I am knackered as I do not hav ethe expertise in MS SQL to do any of the things you say need doing.

Does anyone know of any other software that either can fix the problem or do they know of any other ecommerce software similar to VP that doesn't get hit with this bug.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - February 18 2007 :  05:11:35  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You may want to post this in our help desk so our support team can have a look at what is going on.

https://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/helpdesk

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - February 18 2007 :  05:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cam,

I've submitted a ticket.

Thanks