Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP set-up problems
 shopdisplayproducts crashs CPU application pool
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cgce
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - February 12 2007 :  09:19:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

i have added to my products table about 15 new fields
i have correctly set my new fields in the shop configuration.
Now when i call shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=55&cat=music i have a blank page and IE status bar keeps in progress but does not show any result.
i looged into my server and found out that when i call shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=55&cat=music , the application pool memory is OK, but the CPU usage of this pool is 100%. i had to kill the process so that my site runs again. but each time i use shopdisplayproducts.asp i have the same problem.

Why this occurs ?
Do we have a limitation adding new fields in products table ?

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - February 12 2007 :  10:10:04  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it depends what type of database you're using and which version of vpasp you're on; sqlserver does have a restriction on the size/definitions of tables which might be causing that kind of problem.

If you're using sql2000 then you'll get an error message when you exceed the limit and try doing an update in admin, but if you use sql2005 then you won't get an error message and it'll just corrupt your data/sessions instead and cause all kinds of weird effects.

it's a "restriction" or "feature" rather than a bug, according to the warped minds of microsoft.

we've got a pending addon which we'll release soon which lets you check your data/definitions to see whether or not you've reached the limit (or are near to it etc). it's a complex calculation, not just a straight-forward column-size sum.

if it's not that, double-check that you don't have any categories that have highercategoryid's which are set to the same as the categoryid
ie run this in advanced-query in admin:
select * from categories where categoryid=highercategoryid
if that returns any records then your breadcrumbs might be getting stuck in a loop

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on February 12 2007 10:20:51
Go to Top of Page

cgce
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - February 12 2007 :  10:49:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am running vpasp 6 on SQL server 2005
I have a total of 112 columns in products table.
the Sum of my Varchars (column-size ) are not higher then 7500 characters

I tested select * from categories where categoryid=highercategoryid
it did not return any record i assume then the problem comes from SQL server.

Please advise
Go to Top of Page

pymalion
VP-CART New User

USA
80 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  16:35:31  Show Profile  Visit pymalion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I do a search...

CPU makes out at avg 98% on w3wp.exe
When I run a IISState on it, I get a problem with executing \shopdisplayproducts.asp

How do I troubleshoot this? I'm also running 6.5 % SQL 2005. Fresh install, only imported products.

Stephen Page
[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

pymalion
VP-CART New User

USA
80 Posts

Posted - May 15 2007 :  11:08:14  Show Profile  Visit pymalion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've also did the select * from categories where categoryid=highercategoryid, which didn't show any results. I'm only using ONE category code, as well. I've enabled debugging, but still can't determine why it maxes the CPU, when I call shopdisplayproducts.asp. Any ideas on how to help troubleshoot?

Stephen Page
[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

pymalion
VP-CART New User

USA
80 Posts

Posted - May 15 2007 :  11:10:27  Show Profile  Visit pymalion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This even happens any time, I click on the A-Z navigation links (http://x.x.x.x/Shopping/shopquery.asp?queryprefix=No&cname=M)

Stephen Page
[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - May 15 2007 :  11:12:19  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

It sounds like you may have something wrong with your SQL db somehow.

If you post this in our online help desk our support team will have a look for you to see if they can find what is going wrong.
https://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/helpdesk/

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - May 16 2007 :  02:18:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think support will help with SQL issues. Cam and Claire have been very helpful in the past, but I don't know about others on the support team. Maybe you will have better luck.

I was and am having problems with my 6.09 site kicking me out (unauthorized administrator), submitted a help ticket (I can no longer use advanced edit facilities for some reason), received a response which contained in part:

"In regards to SQL2005, it is known that it has several issues, including the text fields needing to be listed last in a table. Unfortunately, we can do nothing to resolve the issue for you."

The above is an exact quote, I didn't make it up. In other words, they did not bother to log into my site, and would not bother to look at the database setup. So, I will not be upgrading to 6.5 from a site that does not work properly (and blaming my host Alentus without even trying my admin panel was frankly quite surprising).
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  02:10:24  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Rein,

Thanks for letting me know about that post and sorry for the abruptness. I am following it up internally at the moment. I believe the issues with your database stem from the text fields not being at the end of the relevant table.

To allow SQL to work correctly with text fields they must be the last fields on the list in a table otherwise data will vanish from the table when you update.

With Stephens SQL issue above we have set up a default installation on our hosting platform with Stephens data and it runs at lightning speeds so it appears it may be something wrong with the actual database and or server itself.

Claire is working with Stephen in the helpdesk at the moment.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  05:11:17  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this is related, but we found the other day that for sqlserver, even if the text columns are last in the column-list, and even if the table is inside the 8k limit, it still blanks-out cursor values if you reference some columns before others when looking at the cursor values; another really annoying/bad sqlserver/microsoft bug.

We had to change our content management addon to cater for that, so that it references the text columns before the other columns when looking at the cursor.

I think vpasp already does that implicitly on things like templates, but it depends on the nitty-gritty of other functions that might be getting called before the template is processed.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on May 17 2007 05:13:30
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000