Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 external text search
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - January 17 2007 :  13:04:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VPASP has the cool "generate static HTML" function. Now that I have these pages generated, an external text search would be great, as it would index all of these html pages and provide an alternate search capability for customers.

This subject has come up over the years. The last one that was discussed here on the forum was Yider:
http://www.yart.com.au/

Does anyone have any recommendations for what might be available now, or what you use on your own site?

On one of my sites, I use Mondosoft. This is very good, but rather expensive. I can tell in viewing customer orders which orders were the result of the VPASP database search, and which were the result of using the external text search (Mondosoft). It's about 60/40, with the majority of orders received being the result of text search, not database search.

I know that there is a google option for site search. Any others that anyone is aware of?

seeker1
VP-CART New User

Australia
114 Posts

Posted - January 17 2007 :  13:23:51  Show Profile  Visit seeker1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
See http://www.freefind.com/ for free site search engine.

www.hkprog.com
Go to Top of Page

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - January 17 2007 :  15:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks seeker1,

That's about what Mondosoft costs, $80 per month for the non-advertisement version.

The problem I have is that with Mondosoft, page limit is 750 html pages (for approx. $80/mo.). I ran the "generate html" and ended up with 20,000+ pages. So far, Mondosoft hasn't said anything, but they probably will in time. I'm hoping that since I've been a customer of theirs for over a decade, they might let me get away with it. Loyalty and all that (if that means anything these days).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00