Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 General online shop questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gupster
VP-CART New User

101 Posts

Posted - November 29 2006 :  07:24:52  Show Profile  Visit gupster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just wondering how many other people have customers that go through to the check out and then change there mind for some reason and just not pay?

Is this a regular thing with your stores?

Also i was wondering how many visits does your site get per day and how many orders would you get from this?

Thanks all,

www.reactionclubwear.co.uk
www.reactionclothing.co.uk
www.reactionlingerie.co.uk
www.reactionvision.co.uk

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - November 29 2006 :  10:28:37  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For 2 of our clients that we monitor for assistance, I'd say the cancel rate is 5% or less.

For one of our clients, we removed the CANCEL button thinking that some customers were "accidentally" clicking on that instead of the Order or Continue buttons.

Personally I don't like having the CANCEL button available once the customer is that deep into the ordering process. They've already spent a lot of time on your site, so why give them the opportunity to click on something by mistake to screw up the order. Most people are . . . shall we say . . . not that bright. So as a developer we need to make our code idiot proof.

Regards,

Eric in Maine
Go to Top of Page

gupster
VP-CART New User

101 Posts

Posted - November 29 2006 :  17:54:57  Show Profile  Visit gupster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, its not the cancell order button they are pressing. They just get to the paypal section and just cose ie down (i suppose) and change their mind.

Any one else? Just intresting to know.

www.reactionvision.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - November 29 2006 :  20:01:34  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we get a few people quitting at payment time, but not many; as per elammers note it's true to say that if someone's gone through all the hassle of entering their name/address etc then it's unlikely they'd want to quit at the payment-entering stage.

what might be happening (if you get a high proportion of those abandoned payments) is that the users' sessions are getting dropped somewhere along the way, possibly when jumping from the createorder page to the payment gateway interface (especially if it's on shared ssl).

There are lots of reasons for dropped session/carts, but generally half the time it'll be the host not assigning enough memory/resources to the site, and the other half it'll be a "hidden" domain-moving issue.

If a users' session gets dropped at the payment-entering stage, then most people (unless they're really desperate for the products) would just give up and do something else instead, so session dropping is a real killer for sales.

Moving/deleting the cancel-order button as per elammers suggestion would also help cut-down on dropped orders too I expect.

Have a look at:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=64
which explains how/when/why sessions/carts can become dropped (under the "Why are these relevant/needed?" bit)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on November 29 2006 20:18:03
Go to Top of Page

gupster
VP-CART New User

101 Posts

Posted - December 01 2006 :  19:47:45  Show Profile  Visit gupster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw on someones site somewhere that they had a warning on the front page for paypal users saying that when at the paypal checkout they have to press the continue button at the end of paypal or it wont return to the site and complete the order. Not sure if this is with vpasp as well.

www.reactionvision.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - December 02 2006 :  04:03:27  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
for the paypal continue problem, I think that's only relevant if you're using standard paypal; if you use paypal ipn/pro then I think it doesn't have that problem; hopefully someone who's using paypal ipn/pro will post here to confirm/deny that.

that problem is related to paypal rather than vpasp. ie standard paypal doesn't interact directly with any site until you press the final "continue" button after payment. whereas with paypal ipn/pro the continue button at that stage isn't relevant because you can set it up to auto-return to the cart without pressing that extra/spurious button.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on December 02 2006 04:05:08
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000