Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Importing CSV file.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crittersmagic
Starting Member

28 Posts

Posted - November 28 2006 :  16:47:03  Show Profile  Visit crittersmagic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When importing products do i need to keep using the same csv file? Or can i start a new one and just pick up where the old one ended with the catalogid number? cause my list is getting REALLY BIG and i am afraid it will time out. But i want to make sure that i can do this before attempting it cause i do not want to mess up my database. (again)

crittersmagic

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - November 28 2006 :  17:31:18  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you can use a new one, or a full/existing one.

if a product already exists, it'll update it, if a product doesn't exist it'll create one, but it won't delete ones that aren't in your csv file.
so, you can either do incremental imports with small chunks of products, or a single/mass import with all products.

on the subject of imports, you might find it useful to use tab-separated files instead of comma-separated, to see how to do that have a look at:

How can I import tab-separated files in vpasp?
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/support/issue_view.asp?ID=442&CATE=8

and another useful link:
How can I import products using multiple categories/branches?
http://bigyellowzone.com/support/issue_view.asp?ID=224&CATE=8

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on November 28 2006 17:34:02
Go to Top of Page

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - November 28 2006 :  18:59:50  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just to give some perspective, we have one client that has about 3,800 products. And his process involves updating weekly. While I was working on it in development, we regularly would use the VP-ASP import tool for all those products no problem. The environment was on a shared server across the internet hitting a shared MS SQL server. I'd say it usually took just a couple minutes to finish.

To follow up on Simon's post, their TAB mod is very helpful. We used it for that client mentioned above because they had numerous fields that contained commas.

Regards,

Eric in Maine
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00