Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Version 5/50 to 6 upgrade - The migration of data
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

matt@letraset
Starting Member

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - November 28 2006 :  10:52:23  Show Profile  Visit matt@letraset's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

Currently we have a site running on VP-ASP5.50 and we're looking to move up to version 6.

Is there any available info out there on the migration of content/products/categores/prices etc.. from 'old' site to new site? how much can be carried across? e.g. static pages content/SQL tables etc..

Just as a first hit, I'd appreciate any direction anyone can offer,

thanks,

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - November 28 2006 :  12:48:54  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
as far as I know, when you upgrade from 5.5 to 6 the database changes are incremental rather than replacements, so all that would happen would be that you'd have some new config options added when running the upgrade, and some new columns added, but that'd basically be it datawise; you wouldn't need to recreate/copy your data.

that's assuming you'd run the upgrade steps and not the full installation steps.

it's the files (re-applying/checking-for customisations) that's the only thing that might cause things to take a while; any customisations to the database and all the data should all get carried across fine during the upgrade.

time for changing/checking the files is a how-long-is-a-piece-of-string scenario though, and totally depends on the customisations that are in place.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on November 28 2006 12:59:41
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000