Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 characters forbidden with shopaddtocartnodb.asp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bookseller
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - November 23 2006 :  03:46:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi to all,

I was wondering if there was a list of characters that should be removed from the links working with shopaddtocartnodb.asp.

Some descriptions of our products have characters like & " and lead to carts priced 0 with an incomplete description of the product.

Which are exactly the characters that should be removed from these links ?

Thank you for your help

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - November 23 2006 :  05:56:21  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know if you need to remove them; you might just need to encode them, eg...

instead of:

mylink="name=it's really cool & great"

use:

mylink="name="&Server.URLEncode("it's really cool & great")

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on November 23 2006 05:58:08
Go to Top of Page

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - November 23 2006 :  12:19:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know one that causes 0.00 - the # sign.
Go to Top of Page

k-otic
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - November 23 2006 :  17:21:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey,

I try avoiding all these characters:

# ~ [ ] ^ &

These all seem to be used by VPASP or are reserved HTML characters - but yeh the Server.URLEncode option Simon showed would probably help remove any problems these characters might cause.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - November 23 2006 :  19:13:19  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yep; always avoid square brackets in all your data, as vpasp will interpret them as attempted template-fields/column-names.

so, for square brackets, it'll probably still break somewhere along the line even if urlencode is used.

so, yes, avoid square brackets totally.

I once tried to use the html equivalent in data for square brackets rather than a physical square bracket, but after saving the data it got reverted on the backend to a physical square bracket anyway, so I gave up in the end and just used curly brackets or normal brackets instead.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com

Edited by - devshb on November 23 2006 19:17:15
Go to Top of Page

bookseller
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - November 24 2006 :  16:07:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to all for your replies. However, I am a little perplex as I already use square brackets [ ] and they never caused any problem... which is not the case with & and ", for example.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - November 25 2006 :  04:07:06  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
true; you might not get an error when adding the product to the cart, even if it's got a square bracket in its description, but you might get errors/problems later on in the process, depending on whether or not you're using templates for emails/order-formatting

eg when doing the merchant/customer email confirmations, if those are using templates on your setup then it might have a problem when showing the items.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

bookseller
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - November 25 2006 :  08:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's very bad news then because I have no way around to avoid using square brackets... but after almost 2 years of using vpasp I never had any major problem. Maybe it's because my square brackets are always closed like [ my description ] and never left open with one single bracket like [ my description. What do you think ? Anyway, many thanks for your very useful contribution.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - November 26 2006 :  08:35:11  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we used to have square brackets inside some of our product data, for example, on our template-field addons that we're selling we wanted to give examples in the product pages from which we were selling the addon, so that the user can see something like:

Turn Zero Currency Amounts to blanks to allow the $ trick to work with zero amounts.
Call it by using this format in your templates:
$Tax: [BYZ_CCY_AMOUNT_BLANKIFNONEORZERO otax]

but it showed errors (errors on our own page that is, because we used square brackets inside our product description data, the addon itself worked/works fine) - didn't kill the site/page though, but just showed an annoying message along the lines of "BYZ_CCY_AMOUNT_BLANKIFNONEORZERO not in database"

mind you, if you're not using templates then that might not be a problem at all.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com

Edited by - devshb on November 26 2006 08:40:03
Go to Top of Page

bookseller
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - November 26 2006 :  15:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok Simon: perhaps the use of square brackets should be avoided in some cases but it doesn't seem to lead systematically to errors, even when using email templates. In my case, square brackets are used in part of the product's description and give this kind of link for example:
http://www.mywebsite.com/shop/shopaddtocartnodb.asp?Productname=67018.%20[author name].%20Title of the book.%20Imprint date.&price=25
I use simple email templates which only list the variables of the order like products description, taxes or postage cost.
The characters which I could identify so far that led to disfunctions of the cart are & and ", which break the link and led to empty carts. Perhaps urlencode would work properly but I find easier to forbid the use of such characters on my end than to rewrite the code of the website. I will also add # ~ in order to be sure!
However I noticed that my link doesn't work in this forum. Perhaps it depends on the server? I can't say.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00