Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Upgrade - Refresh my Memory
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - November 14 2006 :  08:19:59  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I haven't upgraded for a while and although I can follow the VPASP instructions what else do I need to do, especially where I have made mods to the site code, css & language records? I would rather upgrade on my PC's localhost first and check it all before upgrading on the hosted site.

Edited by - Sharon on November 14 2006 08:22:03

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - November 14 2006 :  12:54:12  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In a similar post, support noted that using a program such as WinMerge helps a great deal so you can find the upgraded files with differences and locate all your mods.

http://winmerge.org/

Another suggestion made by support was to upload the upgraded code to a different directory on your host and make the necessary connection change in the config file. That way you have one last sanity test with your live data before actually posting it for your visitors.

Good luck!

Regards,

Eric in Maine
Go to Top of Page

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - November 15 2006 :  01:54:12  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks elammers. If you run 2 copies on the same host doesn't it give you problems?
Go to Top of Page

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - November 15 2006 :  08:26:41  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you had wanted to run 2 different types of stores, you would also have to change your SHOPID, but in your case, the 2nd copy would only be up there for the length of time you need to do your testing. That could be an hour or a couple days. But during that time, only your team, not the customers, should be able to get to the 2nd copy.

For instance, you could create a folder called /cart_v6091 and upload the new files there. No where on your web site would you reference this folder, so no customers would go there. Do your testing, then when you feel comfortable, upload your new files over the old and delete the testing folder if you like

I have a testing domain which houses some of my client's pre-launch stores each in their own unique directory. In some cases, they point to their own Access DB while others point to the same MS SQL server.

The only potential downside is if your upgrade requires database upgrades. But depending on the database situation, you could make a copy, upload that to your site as a 2nd copy and run the db upgrade scripts against it.

>>> BIGGEST ADVICE <<<
Be sure to have a working copy of your store files and most recent database copy somewhere safe in case something goes wrong so you can easily rollback.

Regards,

Eric in Maine
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00