Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Access to database from outside cart directory
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mparker1113
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - November 03 2006 :  11:24:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I have been able to piece together most of this site without needing to travel outside the cart directory to do database querys.

However, the cust wants to be able to dynamically change text on their home page, and I would rather not stick their home page in the cart directory.

Any input regarding how i should configure my connection string to reach the database outside of the cart directory ? The thing looks to be pretty secured against that so I am asking for help from the experts.

Thank you,

Mike

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - November 03 2006 :  12:14:57  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if it's sqlserver or mysql then that'd be fairly easy, but if it's access then it might be a bit of a nightmare because each time you change directory it'll see it as a new database or it might not find the file at all.

It doesn't just relate to the database location either; it's also the image location, the links, and the stylesheet source etc.

we had this problem before on our own site, and spent absolutely ages working out a solution that would work for all levels (parent, parallel, child, grandchild folders etc) and still deal with sessions properly etc. we spent so long working it out, and it worked so well in the end, that we packaged up all the files/instructions and we now sell it as an addon:

VP-ASP Multiple-Directories:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=53

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on November 03 2006 12:15:42
Go to Top of Page

mparker1113
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - November 03 2006 :  12:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The issue for me is that my supervisor bid wrong on this, and then all has gone haywire in the design (read per the norm). I have to effect one line on the home page, and am not able to purchase anything to do this of course. One line that needs acccesss tothe database ---
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - November 03 2006 :  15:56:32  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

Try ensuring the connection setting in shop$config.asp is Drive and you have the full path the database in xdblocation. For example:

C:\inetpub\wwwroot\database
Then in your top level page change the include reference to the shop$db.asp so it is pointing to your sub folder where the cart is.

I have not tested but this should work.

Thanks,
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

mparker1113
Starting Member

11 Posts

Posted - November 03 2006 :  17:16:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what i ended up doing was using asp response.redirect, and putting the index page into the cart directory. Not very elegant, but we are over budget, and it works :D)

Thanks for the suggestion though, permissions are something i am not accustomed to having to tweak.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00