Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Suggestions for future release
 Pricing by attributes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nuclearsiloman
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - September 21 2006 :  07:44:50  Show Profile  Visit Nuclearsiloman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've just installed vpasp and am looking at creating products and so forth.

When I create a product, say a shirt, it comes in 3 sizes, with a different price for each size. From what I can see in the admin, I can create a base record for the shirt, create 3 attributes for size, and assign a price for each attribute.

From previous experience, I would think that if you left the Price field blank, then on the actual product page, instead then saying "Price:" it would say "Starting at:" and display the value of the lowest priced attribute of the product.

I understand the concept of price=XX and it's 'plus' the options, but this forces customers to do math in their head.

Also, creating attributes names like "Size" and attribute options like "small" "medium" "large" is great - but you should be able to select each of these values on the product record -AND THEN- assign a price to each specific attribute. I point this out because Size:Small:Price is most likely going to be different for each product and the attribute list will grow very large with nearly identical data.

OK, if i've missed the obvious and am completely misguided, please inform me :)

Best,

"Enjoy Life; It's The Only One You Got!"

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - September 21 2006 :  09:58:18  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

You have 2 options on how to set up product variations.

You can either use features or the inventory products display.

Features:
You can set say 3 features called small, medium and large. The 3 features all have the same featurenumber and in each product that has this option you simply enter the relevant feature number.

This way you can re-use the features in multiple products.

The following FAQ goes through all of the options available to you when using features:
http://www.vpasp.com/helpnotes/shoptocdetail.asp?id=19&cat=Product+Features

Inventory Products:
You can set up a parent product and then multiple child products that each represent a product variation. This will require that you have multiple similar entries in your database but the big advantage of this method is you can retain stock control functionality in your cart.

The following FAQ outlines what can be done with Inventory products:
http://www.vpasp.com/helpnotes/shoptocdetail.asp?id=598&cat=Inventory+Products

Thanks,
Cam

VP-ASP Support

Go to Top of Page

Nuclearsiloman
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - September 21 2006 :  12:31:08  Show Profile  Visit Nuclearsiloman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the answer - unfortunately, the free demo version does not support sub-products so I am unable to try this feature to see if I should by the cart....irony.

Go to Top of Page

Nuclearsiloman
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - September 21 2006 :  12:38:14  Show Profile  Visit Nuclearsiloman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update - the base version supports it - but there seems to be a bug. When I click "add a sub product" I get the followin message:

"This feature is not in VP-ASP 6.00 Free Version
Bulk Update
Click here to edit this table normally."

But then if I go back to the edit page, the sub product is there.

Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - September 21 2006 :  17:47:56  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi!

This is actually a mistake in the shopa_addproduct.asp file - this feature is designed to work in the free package.

If you would like to contact us via our helpdesk at http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/helpdesk we will be happy to send you an updated file that will fix this problem.

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Claire Banks
VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00