Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Suggestions for future release
 Back Order
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ironhawker
VP-CART Super User

USA
260 Posts

Posted - September 08 2006 :  00:36:43  Show Profile  Visit ironhawker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Customer buys 5 different items
You can deliver 4.
Currently I think you have to cancel and re-do the order yourself manually.
Filling and processing what you can, then leaving the single item as unprocessed....until you can fill it.

Anybody else have any ideas.?

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Randy "RC" Corn
Institute of Higher Learning

[email protected] 425-828-0738

rustytec
VP-CART New User

Australia
113 Posts

Posted - September 08 2006 :  04:29:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi ironhawker,

You have raised a good post! Hopefully there will be be feedback from others and how they are handling order processing.

I can't see a way around it other than what you have said. Though it is more complicated when you have taken a payment.

Further to this then:

What is the treatment, if you have taken a cc (and charged it) (or other full) payment at the time of the order and cannot fully fill the order.

Further, what is the acceptable time frame to be allowed to fill the order or is it a customer service issue and your individual relationship with the customer as to partial or full refund or partial shipments and followup shipment.

Or are you under an agreement, namely with cc issuers to fully fill the order within a number of days.

Maybe it comes down to a commercial relationship and the perception of your store in the market place as to what is expected.

Any comments here also from veteran traders would be

cheers

Russ
rustytec

Go to Top of Page

theringlord
VP-CART New User

107 Posts

Posted - September 08 2006 :  10:16:23  Show Profile  Visit theringlord's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We don't back order. We use the stock system to limit what the customer can buy. If there is an error and we didn't have enough stock we offer them choices of a different item, credit or refund. We don't offer back order.

We have a second interface front end that we use to sub items into or out of orders - this would be an interesting addition the admin front end offered by VPASP. It simply allows us to remove an oitem - select a new product and recalculates the totals for the order.

We use this for credits as well. I simply remove the item, recalculate the order and I send a gift certificate for the difference between what they paid and what they owe after the item is changed/removed. I then have to authorize the gift certificate. Its a bit complicated but it works pretty well. We only do a store credit with the permission of the customer since we have already taken their money.

We post the amount of preparation time for every item we sell. This is the amount of time it takes to prepare the item to ship. WE use this as a guideline for how long is appropriate to have a customer wait. That way we only have to contact them when something will be longer than expected.

If there were a back order system in place in the cart I'm not sure if we would use it for all products. Some products are just not wise to back order - for example unknown in stock dates. This is especially true if someone has already paid using online payments.
We don't want to hold their money indefinetly.

The second problem with a back order is with shipping. If someone actually wants their order split and the delayed item to ship later we charge shipping. This sounds like a serious complication to automatic code for back ordering.

Bernice
www.theringlord.com

Edited by - theringlord on September 08 2006 10:17:02
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00