Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Content in a specific spot on a page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rustytec
VP-CART New User

Australia
113 Posts

Posted - August 30 2006 :  05:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I have searched in the forum and found a few areas on CMS but not specifically what I want to do.

I am trying to work out if there is a way to have content management of a specific area(s)/section(s) on a page.

e.g. I have the default.asp page and I want to only allow the owners to modify specific sections of the page. There may also be other pages that fall into this category.

I have shopcontent handling other full pages, but on the home page, I only want sections to be able to be modified by the owner.

Perhaps some javascript to call sections also held in the content table?

Anyone done this before or have any ideas?

thanks for any input.

regards

Russ

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - August 30 2006 :  05:40:41  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it's interesting that you should mention this; we're currently in the process of knocking-up a quick addon which'll let you call the content within existing pages.

our idea is that you use the existing vpasp content admin page to maintain your content records, and we create a separate "content_include" file which'll mean that you can then call the content anywhere you want.

in addition to that, we'll be adding a "create file" button with a corresponding asp-template so that for a given content record you can also create a specific page (search engines would love that). For example, you create a content record with a type of "about" and enter a filename of "aboutus.asp" and press a [create file] button, and the system would then create a file called aboutus.asp which calls the content function for that type.

so, I think our pending addon would do what you want (let you call content within existing pages), and also have the bonus that you'd be able to create separate pages for a content record if you wanted.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on August 30 2006 05:42:08
Go to Top of Page

rustytec
VP-CART New User

Australia
113 Posts

Posted - August 30 2006 :  06:08:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Simon,

You must have that crystal ball working over time!

That sounds just what I need (and I'll bet plenty of others)...

Do you have a time frame at all

Waiting with anticipation.

cheers

Russ
rustytec
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - August 30 2006 :  06:14:37  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
actually, one of our clients asked for it as a customisation, but I thought it might be popular so I'm doing it as a generic addon with me as the "sponsor", so the client's needs raise the priority (even though they do end up getting it effectively for free).
I'd like to get it done by the end of today (30th-aug) because I think it'll be popular (especially the "create-page" bit)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

rustytec
VP-CART New User

Australia
113 Posts

Posted - August 30 2006 :  06:18:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
excellent!

Looking forward to it.

Let me know when you have posted it on your site.

If you need a beta tester I'm ready to go.

cheers

Russ
rustytec
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - August 30 2006 :  23:55:37  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
all done:

http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=125

works really nicely on the site I just tried it with.

(currently only proved on v6, and doesn't support the "translate" (multi-language) logic).

I did try to get it using translate, but really weird things happened which I tried to track but couldn't find the root cause of in the end, so for now it'll work fine on v6, as long as you don't use the translate special template field in the calls to it.

Update: we've now changed this to also be compatible with vpasp 5.5.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com

Edited by - devshb on October 04 2006 03:04:20
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000