Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 using sessions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jrthor2
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - August 18 2006 :  06:20:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The host that a client of mine is using does not support sessions the way I'm used to working with them. They require you to save any session data to a temporary directory, not the IIS default directory. So when I try to use the shopping cart, after 60 sec., my session data is lost, so there is nothing in my shopping cart. The hosting company says that I can use sessions, I just need to save them somewhere. Does vpasp support this, and if so, how do I implement this?

Thanks!!

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - August 18 2006 :  06:35:43  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
never heard of that one; I'd always assumed that sessions are stored on the server's memory and not in a physical file.

try creating/opening a completely separate very basic non-vpasp asp file, with no includes in it, such as:

<%
Session("mytest")="Test"
Response.Write "mytest is: "&Session("mytest")
%>

and if that doesn't show "mytest is: Test" then ditch the host and go somewhere that deals with sessions properly/normally.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on August 18 2006 06:42:40
Go to Top of Page

jrthor2
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - August 18 2006 :  06:42:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sessions work, so the test page you wanted will show me "Test", but it only keeps it for 60 sec., and I can't override the timeout using Session.Timeout, I already tried that.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - August 18 2006 :  06:45:49  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
vpasp uses a config option of xsessiontimeout (number of minutes for the session to stay in effect), but that'll be overridden by the server if the host is only letting you keep sessions for 60 seconds.

if my host only allowed standard sessions to exist for 60 seconds I'd be very upset indeed and get them to either change the server settings themselves or I'd move to a different host. I certainly wouldn't expect to have to change my code to jump through hoops just because the host hasn't setup the server properly.

there are ways round it (eg vpasp has a database-based session that you can switch on), but the 60 second restriction would make me run away to begin with if the host didn't change it.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com

Edited by - devshb on August 18 2006 06:55:15
Go to Top of Page

jrthor2
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - August 18 2006 :  06:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, and I've asked for an explaination, and what they said was store the session somewhere else, not the default. The problem I have is th client of mine just signed up with them (gate.com), and I don't think I can really ask them to switch as they probably have a year agreement.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - August 18 2006 :  06:56:32  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if you're on sqlserver or mysql, try using database-sessions instead. if you're on access that'd probably cause problems though because access isn't really up to it.

(
edit shopcookieless.asp and change:
const xusefilesession="No"
to:
const xusefilesession="Yes"
)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com

Edited by - devshb on August 18 2006 06:58:00
Go to Top of Page

jrthor2
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - August 18 2006 :  08:08:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I can use sqlserver. I'll try this when I get some time and let you know. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

jrthor2
Starting Member

9 Posts

Posted - August 20 2006 :  13:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to go through the setup using SQLServer, but I don't have the convertsql.asp, Create600sqlserver.txt files. Are they missing from the free download?
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - August 20 2006 :  17:05:10  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

The Starter Pac only supports Access for the backend database.

The full versions support Access, MySQL and SQL Server.

You can have a look at the features available in each version at:
http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspcompareversions.htm

Thanks,
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)