Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Over All Site Width
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bmw000
VP-CART New User

137 Posts

Posted - June 27 2006 :  09:30:47  Show Profile  Visit bmw000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am curious as to how many people prefer thier carts to have an over all width of 800 pixels to fit 800x600 resolution and on larger resolutions there is either white space or a backround image/color or if you prefer your cart to fit the maximum width no matter what resolution you have.

We are in the middle of a site re-design and this is something that is bugging me. Can't decide which way to go.

Anyone's thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Pro's and con's of each?

Thanks,
Brian Weber

Brian Weber
Variety Solutions, LLC
http://www.varietysolutions.com

jdkerr
Starting Member

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - June 27 2006 :  10:51:17  Show Profile  Visit jdkerr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brian,
Interesting question - and one that I had to deal with as well. I run my system at a native resoluation of 1600x1200 - so a typical layout would result in huge white space on some sites.

I finally decided on a 800 wide solution centered on a page - with a background color of light gray.

Although the solution does assume users are running at least an 800 pixel wide page - I felt it was a safe assumption based on todays technologies.

Would I design wider - no.. I don't think I would based on my own experiences today. I might move to a 1024 wide solution later, but that is just too bleeding edge for now.

John
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - June 28 2006 :  03:50:39  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd try to make things fit into an 800-wide setup (ie so that there's no horizontal scrolling when viewing the site on an 800 wide resolution), but make it so that things stretch/spread-out where appropriate for people with wider resolutions.

you could have a fixed-width of 800 too; very much just a personal preference really I guess.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

bmw000
VP-CART New User

137 Posts

Posted - June 28 2006 :  04:22:01  Show Profile  Visit bmw000's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input guys.

What I really would like to do, but don't think it is possible is to have it fit 800x600 resolution with no horizontal scrolling and stretch to only 1024x768 and if anyone uses any larger resolution it would be at a max size of 1024x768 with white space on either size. Is that possible? I use the panel splitter from BYZ. Can that handle this?

I have seen my site on larger than 1024x768 and it looks really funny and out of skew becuase it is so wide on the larger resolutions. I think with the larger resolutions these days come with wide screen displays ie: laptops. That is why I would like a max of 1024x768, but also can handle 800x600 with no horizontal scrolling.

Listed below is the percentage of the time people use each resolution when viewing my site. This is from the beginning of my site to today.

Unknown (8%)
640x480 (0%)
800x600 (13%)
1024x768 (54%)
1152x864 (4%)
1280x1024 (20%)
1600x1200 (1%)

Brian Weber

Brian Weber
Variety Solutions, LLC
http://www.varietysolutions.com
Go to Top of Page