Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Problems and bugs
 Blank Fields when editing existing product
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  12:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
vs. 6.08 with SQL2005

When I edit a product, several of the fields are blank, though they do exist before editing. Then I get something like "price is a required field" although the cprice existed before I edit.

Similarly, using bulk update, I make changes in cdescription, and these changes do appear in my admin bulk edit screen after updating, but the changes do not appear on the site. I have tried resetting language, reloading shop config.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this behavior? Maybe it's an SQL2005 issue?

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  15:33:47  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've found some truly weird/horrible bugs in sql2005 which happen in seemingly random places (depending on the order that the vbscript references the column values in a cursor).

One of the symptoms I got was when showing cross-selling items in product pages (ie shopexd.asp) it showed zero for the price; I spent ages debugging it and found out that the cursor was correct in the code at the right time, but that sql2005 was blanking the value out whenever it was referenced (not changed; just referenced, even in a debug message).

I don't know if that's related to the issue you're having, but given the problems that I've seen on sql2005 over the last couple of months "upgrading" to sql2005 scares the pants off me.

We ended up advising our effected clients to "downgrade" back to sql2000, which they did and then everything worked perfectly.

Having said all that, I think I remember a small recent vpasp patch where your specific problem was happening (most notably with stock levels rather than anything else), although I'd thought that patch was just related to mysql and not sqlserver, so that might be a red herring.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on May 30 2006 15:36:34
Go to Top of Page

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - May 30 2006 :  16:16:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if Microsoft built the Titanic.

I had to use SQL Server Management Studio when I first started using SQL2005, and found that moving the columns around fixed some of the problems I was experiencing at that time.

Since VPASP is undoubtedly the most popular shopping cart using .asp, wouldn't it be possible for VPASP to contact Microsoft and ask them to look into the problems associated with SQL2005?

Years ago, I was using .idc which was eventually no longer supported by NT. My site stopped working when my ISP upgraded NT. I contacted Microsoft, and they very quickly came to the rescue. They receive enough bad press, perhaps they actively try to rectify issues, I dunno.

The selling point for SQL2005 is the virtually unlimited row length. This vastly expands the possibilities for anyone using VPASP, and in effect makes VPASP completely comprehensive in terms of database needs. Somehow, I've got to find a solution to these "bugs." I wonder if Bill is at home. . . he lives only a few hours from where I live!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00