Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Add-ons for VP-ASP
 Linkable Keywords on product pages
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  12:15:04  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've just created a little addon which is quite a useful thing to allow merchants to show their list of keywords on the product pages, with each keyword linked to a search for that word in other products.

We've added it to our demo v6 area as an example, and it's quite useful/nice.

It has tweakable header/trailer/body chunks so that you can show things however you like

Keywords template-fields:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=123

Demo:
http://vpasp60access.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=17

(see the "keywords" linked/searchable list near the bottom of the page)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  16:56:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simon,
This doesn't look like "a little addon" but strikes me as something that could become quite a powerful addition on a web site like mine, selling music books with song titles as contents (cdescription).

On your product page where BYZ describes the features:
5) Use other columns to store the list
You can configure it to use any product column you like for the source of the keywords list. For example, if you already use the keywords column to store keywords for use in your meta-tags, then you can set this up to use "pother1" and then use "pother1" to store the list of keywords that you want shown for this template-field.

Question: what would happen if you used cdescription as the source of the keywords list?
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  03:28:29  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it wouldn't work if you used something like the cname/cdescription; you'd need to use a column that's in the keywords "format" (ie a column which stores the list of keywords separated by commas).

however, having said that, if we get enough interest, I think it would be useful to add a new config option so that you can specify whether your keyword-source column is a "normal" keyword list, or a text column where keywords can be automatically generated. You'd obviously need some kind of "exclusion" list when generating those keywords from such a column, such as excluding html tags and stopping words like "a" "the" coming through.

It's a great idea though; that would make it much more powerful/useful.

There are 3 options here:
1) If there's enough interest in the addon generally then we can add that as an extra option
2) You could "sponsor" the change; that's where you'd pay for the development time at normal hourly rates in return for a slice of the pie from any subsequent versions sold.
3) We go back to the original sponsor and ask them if they want to sponsor the change.

(2) is a nice option, because it means you'd get what you personally want, while also (hopefully) getting some of your investment back if it sells well.

I'll check with the original sponsor and see if they'd like to sponsor it.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com

Edited by - devshb on May 25 2006 04:04:40
Go to Top of Page

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  14:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen something similar on a couple of web sites.

The song contents of a collection are highlighted. You click on a song title, and it acts as a search: all collections in print which contain the song are then listed. This function removes the "hassle" of a customer going through a search, and perhaps encourages more spontaneous buying. Not sure, just my opinion.

What I've never seen on a site, but would be fantastic, would be a search function with, say, three separate but equal entry boxes for the search. A customer could type in one song, then another favorite in box 2, a third title in box three. The search result would list first any/all collections which contain all three titles, followed by those that contain two, finally all those that contain only one of the titles. Of course, this would work incredibly well, if Cam and the other good folks at VPASP somehow manage to provide search text highlighting.

Kinda off topic, but keep in mind that for anyone selling books or music, "and" "or" "the" can be integral parts of a search, these conjunctions and definite articles are key elements of an exact phrase match.

I think the highlighted keywords idea is still a good idea, with perhaps possibilities that haven't even been thought of as to how this could be tweaked for various needs. I have found that even though some things tend to be almost duplicates in terms of function on a site, having several means by which a customer can eventually find their desired product helps. Having only a search function relies on the customer's ability to interact accurately with the search criteria: and everyone that has looked at their "Search Report" knows that many customers enter search terms/phrases that will not work, even though the product does exist. Even a spell-checker would help a lot of people (sarcasm...)
Go to Top of Page

unitedowners
Starting Member

Romania
16 Posts

Posted - August 26 2006 :  10:03:26  Show Profile  Visit unitedowners's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi guys!

Refarding the metatag keywords i just discovered something great. Simon...u did a very good job with the new add-on for google-base. The new add-on generates some relevant keywords in a field called Label. In my case these keywords are the breadcrumbs for every product (category name and subcateg). I have modified the data feed for google and imported into my cart and now i have....dynamic generated keywords for every product. Also i modified the description metatag to generate from extendeddesc instead of cdescription.
if you want to see here is my website: http://www.buyonlinehome.com
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - August 26 2006 :  13:54:09  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ah; yes; ingenous use of the google-base addon there; I hadn't thought of that!

the googlebase product feed addon does indeed create a list of keywords which are based on a stripped-down (no html, special character replacement etc) list of the category tree. Plus it also lets you specify a separate field (eg "keywords") which the label values come from, and then it strings all those together (the cleaned up category list, and the keywords) into the label field, getting rid of duplicate values in that string along the way.

I hadn't thought of using it to generate your vpasp keywords columns, but you're right that it'd be a really nice/easy way to do so; you can run the feed for all your products then change the label column heading to "keywords" and the id column heading to "ccode" or catalogid (whichever is relevant to your site) and then import it into your products table to have full keywords lists

well done!

in case anyone wonders what the google-base product feed is:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=76

it's basically the replacement for the old "froogle feed"; if anyone's bought either the froogle-feed or the google-base feed in the last 6 months but doesn't have an up to date version (currently BYZ056/10) then just let us know and we'll give you an update; it's gone through lots of tweaks since its original release, especially regarding the bit that cleans-up the descriptions and generates the labels into the feed values.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com

Edited by - devshb on August 26 2006 13:57:47
Go to Top of Page

unitedowners
Starting Member

Romania
16 Posts

Posted - August 26 2006 :  21:07:23  Show Profile  Visit unitedowners's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes Simon....and now for almost 90% of my products i have 100% relevancy to title, description and keywords.....that`s great.
You should make an add-on for VPASP cart to do this job.
Go to Top of Page

katnr
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - July 19 2010 :  17:41:17  Show Profile  Visit katnr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Simon, has this been updated for version 7 yet?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00