Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Display All products in a category and it''s subcat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

saki
VP-CART New User

82 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  11:25:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do I display ALL the products in a category? Including those in the subcategories below thhe category?

Edited by - saki on May 08 2006 17:13:20

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 11 2006 :  06:43:40  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's what I use; it'll use the prodcategories matrix so should be able to find the relevant products:

<a href="shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=100&cat=<%=Server.URLEncode("My Category Description")%>">My Category Description</a>

(where 100 is the categoryid)

but, you'll have to make sure that you have no gaps in the categories that you've selected for the products (ie up/down the branches)

if you do have missing prodcategories in the branches, then our prod/cat check/fix tool will be able to find+auto-fix them all, and our admin category tree screen is also very useful:

Prod/Cat/ProdCat Check/Fix Tool:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=74

Admin Category Tree:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=31

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on May 11 2006 06:44:17
Go to Top of Page

saki
VP-CART New User

82 Posts

Posted - May 11 2006 :  18:12:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Simon! I have both of your tools already and with 400 categories they have been a life saver. Bravo!

I'll give your suggestion a go.
Go to Top of Page

saki
VP-CART New User

82 Posts

Posted - May 14 2006 :  10:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried that but it will only find the products in the "specified" category id and description. Not the subcategories underneath? Is my expectation that somehow this chould display all the products fo a given category and the subcategoreis for any category in the tree wrong?

Example: I want to be able to select <As---Ss (44> and display the products in three categories <As---Ss (44)>, <As---Ss---12 (222)>, <As---Ss---10 (223)>

From This category tree section.

As (42)
As---Ps (45)
As---Ps---10 (234)
As---Bs (47)
As---Es (46)
As---Ms (48)
As---Ss (44)
As---Ss---12 (222)
As---Ss---10 (223)

Edited by - saki on May 14 2006 11:27:45
Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - May 14 2006 :  15:26:03  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You need simons catogry fixer, it will back fill the products into the proper parent categories and then they will all list.

You have to look at it this way, if you have a category "A" and a sub Category "B", with a sub of "B" called "C". You mark your product for category "C" but if will not show up under "B" or "A" unless you mark multiple categories for each product (Hold the CTRL key to select multiples). With SImons little program, all you have to do it put a product in "C" and it will put it in "B" and "A" when you run it. It has saved me soooo many hours of work... Simon, you can post the link to it.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  02:58:58  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
indeed; "stage 8" of the category check/fix tool will do exactly that; it'll go up/down all the branches and fill in the missing gaps.

It's stage 8 on the addon itself, but in our description page we've listed that part as "point 4" (missing parent matrix entries) -

This is the link to buy/view the checker/fixer addon:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=74

It's very useful; I know I'm biased, but I'd advise anyone who's got more than 1 level of categories to use it (and the category tree) because almost any problem related to categories/products can be sorted out by just going to the admin screen and pressing a fix button.

This is the link for the admin category tree (a separate admin screen which lets you view your category info in one page showing the right nestings etc) -
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=31

If you've already got the category fix/check tool but don't have that option available on it (eg if it's a very very old version), then let us know and we'll send you the update.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com

Edited by - devshb on May 15 2006 03:01:12
Go to Top of Page

saki
VP-CART New User

82 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  15:09:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OH. I need to sort this out a bit.

Using Version 6.07 of vpasp I creat categories and then add products to those specific categories. That seems to work fine. I don't really want to populate the parent category with all the subcategory products. Especially not for all the tree branches. I like the current explicit assignment thet vpasp does.

What I was looking for was how to QUERY, I think, on the products inside a given category and below in it's tree. Putting the products in their parent categories in the tree branch isn't what I want.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  15:23:29  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
but if you don't have the products in the parent categories, then they won't be searchable/queryable at that higher level; people would be forced to go down to the bottom level before being able to find them (unless they do a non-category general search etc, such as by product-name)

to go up/down the category tree dynamically when querying products would be theoretically possible, but it'd probably be incredibly slow as it'd have to loop through the entire category tree structure each time you query the products.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

apswater
VP-CART Super User

444 Posts

Posted - May 16 2006 :  17:25:44  Show Profile  Visit apswater's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can see how we did it here http://www.labwater.com/shopdisplaycategories.asp

Thanks to Simon, propegating the p[arent categories only took minutes for 1000's of products and 100's of categories.

It is also important to do because the search engines will only go so far looking at links. The search engines will follow the display products links and you will get better inclusion into the search engines.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00