Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Problems and bugs
 Category Problems
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dandlyin
VP-CART New User

USA
73 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  17:42:34  Show Profile  Visit dandlyin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will learn in no other "
Ben Franklin

Through hard experience, I have identified the following current problems with the way VPASP 6.08 scripts handle categories:

1. an apostrophe cannot be used in the Description- if used, the products in the category will not display- times out with no explanation

2. if one sets a highercategoryid equal to the current category, a fatal loop causes a timeout when trying to edit any category (or any products!) individually. This can be caused and/or corrected using bulk category update- or by editing/importing externally.

3. if one sets the highercategoryid to a value that does not appear in the category list, the select list for setting highercategoryid (or categoryid in the case of products) may be incomplete- if a lower number is used than exists, only single categories will be displayed

Although workarounds for these problems are obvious, I believe the scripts involved should be rewritten to eliminate the problems, or at least report their cause.
It was not easy to identify the causes of these problems and I have not yet developed solutions. If others have done so, I would appreciate hearing about the changes they made.

Thanks,
Dan Dotson

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  18:32:45  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You might find our category/prodcategory check/fix tool handy; it has 10 checks, most of those checks allowing auto-fixes:

http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=74

and/or our admin category tree which now also shows error messages for categories which it couldn't place in the tree (due to invalid higherids etc):
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=31

we use the prod/cat check/fix tool all the time; it saves a huge amount of time/hassle having to analyse data/problems.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  01:32:51  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Don,

For points 1 & 2 can you please upgrade your site to vesion 6.08 as these 2 issues have been rectified.

For 3 you can just select the relevant category from the drop down and the list will display without issue showing the tree structure again. You are not stopped from selecting whatever category you want to, you just do not have the entire string displayed.

Hope this helps,
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

dandlyin
VP-CART New User

USA
73 Posts

Posted - June 22 2006 :  17:45:56  Show Profile  Visit dandlyin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cam,
I'm not certain about No. 1 but Problem 2 was NOT fixed in v6.08, which I have installed. The changes made in v6.08 made it impossible to set a category as a sub of itself within the edit category script but did nothing to change the problem if it was created by a bulk edit or import. Either of those scripts will permit the user to enter such foolish data.
The script shopa_addcategory.asp has a sub called GenerateCategorylinks, which starts at about line 633. If a category is defined as a sub of itself, this routine loops forever.
I added statements to check data validity after both variables have been defined:
640 highercategoryid=categoryarray(i,dchighercategoryid)
641 categoryid=categoryarray(i,dccategoryid)
'
'added next 4 lines DLD 6/22/2006
if categoryid=highercategoryid then ' higher=self
highercategoryid=0
response.write "higher=self for category " & categoryid & ". Use Bulk edit to correct.<BR>"
end if
'
and before the loop:
648 do while highercategoryid<>0
I did the same thing in shopa_addproduct.asp at about line 1696
When executed, the scripts report all categories that are defined as being subs of themselves.
If others have more elegant solutions, I welcome their comments.

If possible, someone needs to edit the bulk edit script to stop errant entry- and the import routine as well.
Thank you.
Dan Dotson
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - June 22 2006 :  18:25:21  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Dan,

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding on Point 2 - Cam was referring to the validation we added to the shopa_addcategory.asp page.

We are currently working on more thorough validation of category input from the Import and Bulk Update processes, which will be included in the next upgrade.

Your suggestion for adding code into the category display is a great idea and we will definitely look into also incorporating something like this into the upgrade.

Thank you for your feedback,

Claire
VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00