Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Problems and bugs
 xemail is more than stated
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dandlyin
VP-CART New User

USA
73 Posts

Posted - April 26 2006 :  07:05:30  Show Profile  Visit dandlyin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This configuration field xemail is described as:

After an order has been completed, who should be notified. This is the email address of that person.

Correct me if wrong but I believe it also becomes the 'From' address of all email messages sent from the site administrator, which can have undesirable consequences. Many sites are now using SPF validation to confirm the source of a message compared to the sender's email address. This means I must either use an address on the site where VPASP lives or change the SPF description on the other site's host machine- not an easy task.
Although I have fixed the problem by changing the email address, I think the significance of xemail needs to be better described in VPASP documentation.
Thanks,
Dan Dotson

Edited by - dandlyin on April 26 2006 07:06:23

dandlyin
VP-CART New User

USA
73 Posts

Posted - April 26 2006 :  07:34:55  Show Profile  Visit dandlyin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This problem is worse than I realized. The script that sends email from a customer to the administrator places the customer's address in the 'From' field, which will be rejected by a system using SPF. The 'From' field needs to be set to the administrator's address and the customer's email included in the message body.
I plan to rewrite the script when time permits and will share with others who care.
Thanks,
Dan Dotson
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - April 26 2006 :  07:51:22  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Dan,

To be honest I am not 100% sure what it is you are asking here so please excuse me if I have misunderstood.

While there may be a few occasions where the site needs to have a different email address to what is used, and this so far has only come up in testing scenarios in the 6 years we have been providing support, we have not as a result catered for this this side of things.

Instead we added a new option into the set-up called xemailfrommerchant. This is so sites whose servers have this blocking in place can still use the tell a friend, reviews etc features and actually use the xemail address as the from address so the emails can be sent successfully.

This will solve the issue you are referring to I believe if I have understood what you saying.

A great way to get an idea of all features in the online Set-Up is to read through each one and make a change to it. Then locate what has changed in the site to see the result. This will provide you with an extremely solid grounding in the product.

Hope this helps.
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

dandlyin
VP-CART New User

USA
73 Posts

Posted - April 26 2006 :  08:06:24  Show Profile  Visit dandlyin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
xemailfrommerchant only solves the problem if the value for xemail matches the site on which VPASP resides.
If I set xemail to [email protected] and my site is on abc.com, messages will be blocked.
I hope this clarifies the problem.
Thanks,
Dan
PS I am hosting on Godaddy.com, a very large system, which apparently just started this screening.
Go to Top of Page

dandlyin
VP-CART New User

USA
73 Posts

Posted - April 26 2006 :  08:11:19  Show Profile  Visit dandlyin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
BTW, the fieldname is actually xmailfrommerchant
Furthermore, it does not work for the customer contact form, which does not look for it as far as I can tell, looking at just shopcustcontact.asp.
As always, correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks,
Dan

Edited by - dandlyin on April 26 2006 08:23:59
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - April 26 2006 :  08:28:55  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that, I am not at my pc so was typing from memory.

By default the system will only work with the same email as the domain if anti spam software is active on the server. This is deliberate and as more hosts go down this path site owners will need to ensure they have a matching domain and email address. In 99.9% of cases this is not an issue.

With the way anti spam systems are being implemented the best method to avoid this legitimately is to just use the same email as your domain.

I personally would not advocate changing code to try to get around these systems. If there is a legitimate business need to use a different email than what your domain is then the best solution is to simply find a host that allows this rather than risk having your site taken down for potential spamming reasons.

My 2 cents.
Cam

VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

dandlyin
VP-CART New User

USA
73 Posts

Posted - April 26 2006 :  08:44:40  Show Profile  Visit dandlyin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, the point I was trying to make with my first post is that the significance of xemail is understated in VPASP documentation.
I agree that if:
1. xemail is an address on the domain where VPASP resides
and
2. xmailfrommerchant is set to 'Yes'
The problem is solved and no coding changes are required.

However, the significance of xemail should be highlighted in its description in the configuration table.
Thanks,
Dan
BTW, I see the code in shopmail.asp, which changes the from to xemail- sorry for my earlier oversight :(

Go to Top of Page

Drew
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - June 05 2006 :  01:15:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could this be why I'm not getting all the emails I should be getting? I host at GoDaddy too. I'm not getting my merchant email(and for all I know, not all my customers are getting their order email) for some of the orders. Maybe 1 in 4 orders don't get emailed to me.

I would think if I'm getting any emails, my settings must be correct, so I can't figure out why I don't get ALL my emails.

Can anyone tell me if the SPF(or something else) would prevent some, but not other emails from getting to me?

Go to Top of Page

dandlyin
VP-CART New User

USA
73 Posts

Posted - June 05 2006 :  06:02:21  Show Profile  Visit dandlyin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The only emails I don't receive are those for which the customer pays using PayPal. Apparently, in such cases the customer does not press the last button at PayPal to return to my site. The only solution to this is to upgrade to the PayPal Pro plan.
If your problems emails are not of this type, I have no answer.

Go to Top of Page

Drew
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - June 05 2006 :  10:00:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for responding. Mind if I ask you a few questions about your settings? Maybe my settings are incorrect. What do you have for your xemailsystem and xemailtype on your configuration>merchant details? Also, would the SPF thing prevent me from getting just some of the emails?

I can't find a pattern as to why I get most emails, but not some.

Also, with your PayPal problem of people not pressing the last button. Did you go into Profile>selling preferences>website payment preferences and check off Auto Return for Website Payments? For me this has cut back on people who don't click the finish button by having paypal automatically return them to your site.
Go to Top of Page

dandlyin
VP-CART New User

USA
73 Posts

Posted - June 05 2006 :  15:46:03  Show Profile  Visit dandlyin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
xemailsystem is your mail server. Mine is mail.domain.com
xemailtype is the type of email service on your server. I'm using cdonts
I believe either one is black/white, works/doesn't work and would not cause random failures. Same for SPF but I don't claim to be expert on any of these issues/systems.
I accept PayPal payments from multiple sites so the auto return won't help me- but thanks for mentioning it.
Go to Top of Page

Drew
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - June 05 2006 :  19:33:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean by either it should work or not work, which is why I'm having trouble finding what's wrong. But wow, my settings aren't even close to what yours is. I use GoDaddy too and I've been using:

xemailsystem= relay-hosting.secureserver.net (which I got off the Godaddy site.)
xemailtype= cdosys (which Godaddy also recommended.)

Maybe i'll play with the settings and see if that works.
Go to Top of Page

Drew
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - June 13 2006 :  00:28:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have investigated my problem and narrowed it down. I am not receiving emails where the customer's email address is from one of two domains.

If a customer's email address is from aol.com, or adelphia.net, I don't get the email when the customer places an order. Does this have to with with the SPF that you were referring to above? Does anyone else who hosts with GoDaddy have problems receiving orders from customers with aol or adelphia email address??
Go to Top of Page

dandlyin
VP-CART New User

USA
73 Posts

Posted - June 13 2006 :  13:21:47  Show Profile  Visit dandlyin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting observation on the buyer's email domain- I have not seen that. I suggest you:
1. set xemail to an address on the domain where VPASP resides
and
2. set xmailfrommerchant to 'Yes'
This results in all mail from the system being sent by the main domain and avoids the SMF problem. SMF is basically a list of domains that are permitted to relay mail through the domain's email system. Naturally, one wants to limit that capability to avoid spammers relaying their crap through your email system.
I hope this helps you a little.
Dan
Go to Top of Page

Drew
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - June 13 2006 :  22:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll have to do that so that I can get their order emails, but it still leaves the problem of if someone emails a question or request through the site with on of those domains, the server will reject it and we'll never see it.
Go to Top of Page

zhmic31
Starting Member

27 Posts

Posted - August 14 2006 :  10:06:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alot of discussion in between but the original poster points out a valid issue. I was trying to change the email address of where the order confirmation was coming from, with no success.

It was not until I changed xemail that the change actually worked, which indicates it is doing more than listed in the description field;

"After an order has been completed, who should be notified. This is the email address of that person."

This should be modified to also includes that it is the email address from which the order confirmation will be sent.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00